56 plate xf.

Lorry CB radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderators: FISH, stampman

Sambo-77
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:52 pm

I've recently rediscovered cb radio but I'm getting a bit frustrated with the aerial on my xf. It had the standard black stick fitted on the cab but I swopped it for a half breed type twig. Now I can't get the swr down on it below 2 and nobody can hear me unless I'm nearby to them. I've heard all sorts of stories about only being able to use the standard twig but is this really the case. I thought about bolting a separate mount on the side of the cab and running a new coax in with a good quality twig on but would I be wasting my time?

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:43 am

the std antenna on the daf is quite good needs swring and it is in the wrong place you should get better results if you can side mount it but doing so is not for the faint hearted

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Sambo-77
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:14 pm

It's a leased truck so it's not really an option. I was going to get a flat bar mount and bolt it to a blank bolt hole on the back of the cab but I don't want to waste my money if it's not gonna work. ::-()

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:17 am

if you realy want to change it the the one i use is the RED devil with a simple banjo adaptor on the base

Sambo-77
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:44 am

I thought about just getting a longer version of the standard twig. I presume that's what that is? Would it work better if it was a bit higher than the cab?

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:07 am

a longer version would be a firestick and very heavy unless it was fastened at the top to the air deflector it would destroy the mounting in the cab