Whats the best setup??

Lorry CB radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Shaky
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:38 pm

Right now i'm using a maycom EM27 with a stinger aerial on a mirror mount. Haven't a clue how to use a swr meter so i bought the stinger because i was told it was pre-tuned???

Don't know for sure, but i think i'm getting out somewhere between 1.5 and 2 miles. Is this about right, or should be better than that???
Would i be better off with a mag mount???

cheers
Dave
Dave

breaker 19
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:28 pm

no m8, what you've got is a good set up aparently the maycom em-27 is a quality radio haven't used one myself but i also use a springer on a mirror mount as long as you've got a good earth you should be to transmit alot furhter.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:17 pm

depends on truck guttermount is the most positive on ground connection wilson 1000 is the most stable antenna and will last years still using mine after 20 years dear to buy but will last
what is the truck then we can possibly help further

cheers and beers

:D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it

Shaky
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:27 pm

Hiya fella's,

I used to have a gutter mount on my old motor, but i've got a DAF CF now and its got no gutters :cry: :cry:

I've stuck an old mirror mount on and ran a earth from it to one of the bolts that the mirror arm is attached with, i've trapped the wire between the bolt itself and a washer, thought that would be ok????
Dave

lost sheep
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:57 pm

hi mate get a good magmount for the back of your cab the atom arieal is a good one to get coz its been tested at the factory for the best groundplane. im using the midland 48 excel with one on the back of a daf 95xf & i get out a good 7/8 mile :D
rodgy dodgy kamone!

boyscout
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:47 am

Shaky wrote:Right now i'm using a maycom EM27 with a stinger aerial on a mirror mount. Haven't a clue how to use a swr meter so i bought the stinger because i was told it was pre-tuned???

Don't know for sure, but i think i'm getting out somewhere between 1.5 and 2 miles. Is this about right, or should be better than that???
Would i be better off with a mag mount???

cheers
Dave
I still think that you should try cutting a bit off the top of your antenna. even if it is pre swr'd. remember this has been swr'd on a test bench not your truck. As long as you have a good ground connection from your mirror. try cutting about 1/4 " off the end and see what the swr reading is. most of the time it will be higher on ch 40. then you must shorten the antenna. If you do not have a swr meter, get one. this is very important.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:25 am

move the mirror mount to the stays that hold the side deflectors to the body and run the cable through the sun roof the antenna will swr with no problem and as long as its over the trailer will get out ok

:D :D :D :D :D

Bodger
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:11 pm

Some manufacturers say pre SWRd but if you think about it logically it can't be, so always check your SWR....

:P :P :P
10 - 10 and 10 - 65...........

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:15 pm

pre swr'd is theory set but as all trucks/cars have differant metal make up ie more alloy in mix then the swr is a mile out on most orbiters pick up a lot of reflection of bodies so must be mounted at edge of roof so less pick up and swr will come down to about 2

:D

EarthWormJim
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:50 pm

Bodger wrote:Some manufacturers say pre SWRd but if you think about it logically it can't be, so always check your SWR....

Totally agree 8)
Jim,

CB'ers do it till it Hertz...Side Banders do it till it MegaHertz

2H4OW
M3OJP

Bodger
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:52 pm

Your not going to believe this.. :D My SWR is down to 1

:D :D :D

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:10 pm

do the lottery

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Bodger
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:36 am

Bodger wrote:Your not going to believe this.. :D My SWR is down to 1

:D :D :D
Must have been a blip, 1.5 as normal again...... :wink: :wink:

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:31 am

such is life thought i had been given a gold ring it was brass but looked good only problem finger goes green

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Shaky
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi all,

Feel kinda ashamed creeping in here after all this time :oops: but i'm on the hunt for advice again..

Still have the em-27, which incidently i think is a superb piece of equipment, but i've recently changed jobs which of course means a change of trucks..
Before the change the rig was working fine with no problems at all, but now when i TX, listeners report my voice to be right at the back of the box with so much hissing and crackling over the top that they cannot understand a word i'm saying..
RX is perfect so i decide to buy a new mike and give that a whirl - Nope, still no good :? :(
A pal lent me a spare Midland 98 plus which i wired to the same power supply, ariel and mike and heypresto everything is fine.
So decides to drop the maycom into the fella's here for a service and repair with the same description as above, 7 days later i pick it up and wire it back in and guess what?

Yep you guessed it, it's still no different??????? :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry:

The truck is a Scania R which according to the rig itself is pushing out 14.1v although it is plugged into a 12v supply.. I have it located in the dash slightly below and to the left of the stereo...

Any ideas??????
Dave