how good should this be

Lorry CB radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

scotty493
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:53 pm

i have a volvo fh12 globetrotter and i have a midland 38 with a 50w amp and a sirius ariel should this get out quite some distance? it seems pretty poor to be honest ....is there a way of getting this set up to be any good..i had a swr meter rigged up but when i key up the needle would fluctuate so obviously something is not right..any advice welcome as im not clued up on this type of stuff

mr p!e
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:42 pm

What I would do is remove and assisted amps for a start, set up the aireal SWR to its lowest point, there is section on here for the correct setup... I can point you to a few sites if you like. make sure that the coax on your twig is ok and not damaged in anyway.

The FM channels are quiet at the mo, go to ch 19 and keep dxing..... you do get some ppl about.

hope this helps, If you have any other questions please do ask. [-o<

Offplanet
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:56 pm

The SWR needle will move - by how much will indicate if you have a problem or not - have a look at the SWR guide on the Thunderpole site for more info http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/4x4_what_is_swr.htm

If the reading is in the red zone then you certainly have a problem - make sure the basic installation is SWR'd in properly before installing the amp.

With lorries, if the the trailer on the back is higher than the cab, it will deflect your signal (especially if it's a metal container). If the lorry cab is made of fibreglass, then some sort of artificial groundplane will be required (maybe a metal plate/groundplane kit on the roof, or an antenna that doesn't need a groundplane) - for lorries, Thunderpole list some mirror mounts with a built-in groundplane http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb_radio_mirror_mounts.htm

The above will never be ideal and range will suffer.

I've just conducted some tests from a homebase to a van running a Dial-a-Match antenna and 25watts - we were getting about 15 miles in the country (but range will vary a lot depending on terrain, and electrical interference in towns and cities).

Another thing to check is that the Midland rig is putting out at least 4 watts - if it's down on power, then it won't drive the amp to it's full potential.

Probably the best bet is to sort yourself out with a SWR/Power meter to check the installation and power output.

Hope this helps.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:42 am

if denison in ireland fitted it then you have a major problem but the swr will tell you that use a omega 27 on the roof and make sure its vertical or you will lose distance

:D :D :D :D *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

scotty493
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:57 pm

fitted into my new lorry today put the swr metre on without the amp and the needle bounces about i was speaking to a bloke who was 3 mile away and he said it was jumping from 3 to 6 pound and modulation was quiet surely i should be getting out better than that just with the cb wiyhout the amp?

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:22 am

if the swr is right then ignore the replys to your questions on how they can hear you you will get 20 differant answers from 10 breakers it will drive you daft

my set up was on the bench more times than in the car for the first 5 years then i saw the light and its never been out since unless i changed the car

and iam at peace with the world no more gray hairs

:D :D :D *King* *King* *King*

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:14 pm

nice one stampman ...but very true some guys just like to wind other cbers up take no notice [-X :)

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:42 am

good answears there it also depends on your aerial, i myself also have a volvo FH12 with a 1.55m orbitor on the roof but lucky for me its not a globetrotter only things i have on the roof is the orbitor & a roof deflectot & gives me the full performance as it should do 10 to 15 miles out.

but i do understand that its not that easy for truckers who have one of these updated scania / volvo trucks with spacecabs as there is not many bloody places where to put a aerial up :roll: [-o<

but with dafs & mercs solution is sorted a mirrior mount from the top of my head :wink:

volvo globetrotter i have seen many other drivers who have a volvo globetrotter cabs and they to have a 1.55m orbitor fixed onto there gutter at the rear of there cabs not shure if your upto trying one but mine has never failed me m8.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:09 pm

all volvos have a cb mount fitted as standered only need a plug on the coax with an extension fitted depending where you are putting the set

*King* *King* *King* *King*

gorich761
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:27 am

my set up was on the bench more times than in the car for the first 5 years then i saw the light and its never been out since unless i changed the car