how best to set up antenna scania L124,51 plate.

Lorry CB radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

mortarman
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:42 pm

hello all. i was given a cb, & want to use it in my scania L124 low roof sleeper cab on a 51 plate. i brought a mag mount so i could stick it on the roof, but would like some advice on how best to route the cable into the cab without leaks & don't really wan't the cable going through doorseals & blocking off the curtain track, meaning i would have to remove antenna mount or disconnect from cb radio. i dont suppose this is as simple to sort out as the volvo fh. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:09 am

hi m8 & welcome,

it don`t realy make it easy these days with these new model trucks what we drive but eather way you look at it your still going to have problem with the curton rail with useing the mag mount m8,

but scania & volvo fh cabs are similar on the roof as they have added the mounts for cb aerials / radio stereo aerials just like the picture below for a example, you will also find the cable in the cupboard above the windscreen m8, also you will only need a PL259 plug to put onto the cable then all should work perfect for you m8.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:05 am

easier to use gutter mount on the back of the cab and feed the cable through the hatch do it carefully and you wont see the cable in side the motor a lot easier and less messing

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

mortarman
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:17 pm

thank you very much, that's very interesting. hopefully i'll soon have my cb connected up.

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:48 pm

no problem mortarman m8 i was also thinking having magmount on the roof & lead your coax throw the sun hatch but it does deppend on what type of aerial you have m8 also stampman might dissagree with me on the magmount on the roof idea lol

but good luck to you m8 & hope to have you with us on the air waves buddy [-o< [-o<

& let us know how you get on m8.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:52 am

mag mount is ok providing you use the wilson mag which is galvanised std mags are mild steel and rust too easy so if you are keeping the waggon for 3 years plus the gutter mount sorts it

mortarman
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Thank you to stampman & wildfire for all your advice, i looked for the cable & looked on the roof for an antenna mount but there was nothing at all, so i used a gutter mount & run the cable through a rubber gromet on the roof & under the headlining into overhead storage, so it was more work but my curtain track is cable free & no unsightly wires hanging everywhere. THANKS AGAIN. Mark.(aka mortarman)

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:48 am

the volvo is even simpler there is already a mount on the nearside roof and the cable comes out behind the switches above the tacho head you need 12 volts running up there to it though as volvo dont put it up there

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:28 pm

I had a 52 plate scania and i made a bracket and bolted it to the middle of that rail on top that secures the wind deflector on the roof and i think the coax just came in through the sun roof , I used to talk to a lass called Margaret in Gibralta most days just using a Tristar 777 on that setup .
Close to middle as possible is the secret for any antenna to work well . Forward or rearward mounting will be directional and the scania is one of the few trucks were only half the roof is covered by the wind deflector so middle mounting a K40 or Wilson is also possible and will work great.