long and low or short and high

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

extremedave
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:42 pm

when mounting an antenna on a vehicle where a longer antenna can cause problems hitting low branches on truck or tractor for example. will a short antenna mounted higher or a longer antenna mounted lower down give the best performance?

clockworkorange
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:35 am

extremedave wrote:when mounting an antenna on a vehicle where a longer antenna can cause problems hitting low branches on truck or tractor for example. will a short antenna mounted higher or a longer antenna mounted lower down give the best performance?

A shorter antenna higher would be better, its the load (coil) that needs the height :mrgreen: i fit loads of rigs in tractors and lorrys the most comon antennas used are either the 5 foot springer or the 2 foot 6" springer and most comon mounting place is mirror arm on a tractor and roof on a lorry, the seem to last very well and the performance is very good :D

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:07 am

the higher the better with any antenna
*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Bionic Budgie

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:00 am

As I mentioned in other posts, I use a mag mount on the roof of my Transit (I have to go in all sorts of places and the antenna takes a beating). The mag mount gives the antenna and chance... if it gets a really hard wack, the mag comes off..saving major damage to the aerial..as said before by other users..longer the better, loading coils as high up as poss but centre loaded antennas are always 'top heavy' and the nature of having to support the coil means the first whip section is usually fairly thick so it don't bend!!

Have Fun on the CB :D

Ian
Bionic Budgie
26FB096
Diss, Norfolk
My Only Worry Is That When I Die..My Wife Will Sell My Radio Gear For What I Told Her I'd Paid For It!

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:14 pm

I have had workmates mount short springers under the fiderglass roof spoilers and wernt impressed with the performance , I prefer the biggest is best method and mount a large bullwhip lower down the back of the cab with only 2 feet of whip above the truck aerofoil ,works great and i can still use the truckwash without having to take the antenna off the truck.
only drawback is it is a bit directional with most power out front.