General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Bionic Budgie

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi Folks..

Over the past few days I have been doing some field tests with some mobile antenna's, I have posted the results on here if anyone is interested.

As a 'Datum' antenna I used the basic long Stinger antenna. I have a Ford Transit with a bolt thru mount in the centre of the roof. I had 3 other stations on channel, 2 base, i mobile (static).

1st antenna was the Sirio 3000, this antenna was 2 Signal points up on the stinger on both rx and tx, but the swr was only really ok on the 40 uk channels.

2nd antenna was the Wilson 1000, this was the same as the Sirio 3000 on rx but was 1 to 1/2 an S Point DOWN on the Sirio 3000. The whip was a lot more flexible and the antenna looked neater. Also the bandwidth was really good. The swr was good from well below the cept freqs right up into 28mhz. Superb bandwidth.

3rd antenna was the Sirio 4000. This just blew the other 2 away.. 4 S points up on the stinger on RX and TX, bandwidth was slightly better than the Wilson but not much. The only drawback is the length of this. Just over 2 mtrs, it is not suitable for the roof of my van..its just too long. I will be keeping the Wilson on as I like the build quality..it looks a tough cookie. I like the mega flexi whip, it is not as rigid as the Sirio's which tend to kink. I also like that the swr was easier to tune and is lower on the Wilson compared to the 3000 (not the 4000).

The only other thing to consider is the cost..The Wilson is about £80.00 (over priced in my opinion) the Sirio 3000 is £30.00, the Sirio 4000 £45.00. Pays ya money..takes ya choice.

Hope this is of some interest to somebody.

Ian :D
My Only Worry Is That When I Die..My Wife Will Sell My Radio Gear For What I Told Her I'd Paid For It!

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Yes ide agree with your findings,Generally the bigger the antenna the more signal strength, The Wilsons and K40 s use a capacitor or something to hold the SWR across a very wide range and are also quality built and the right size for general mobile use but to expensive to leave on the top of a motor as they will walk.
The cheeper mobile antennas such as Modulators are generally very good but in a narrow bandwidth and if they are left on a van and stolen then you havent lost a fortune.
This is probably why we all have one of each of these mobile antennas.
Myself well i have kept a K40 for ocasional mobile use with me sideband radios , an old Marginplan tall bulwhip which stays on me truck and an old Modulator as spare.
Have had a wilson 1000 and cant remember why i sold it ,Olso had a sirio 4000 which was way to big for me truck and was sold on fairly quick.
Have had a small Dial-a-match which worked extremly well,dodle to tune and looked more like a car antenna and i may treet myself to another one for the car,not very long lasting though as the coil usually goes short after a couple of years.
Never had a springer ,there indestructable but hard to tune and not particularly efficient as they lay almost flat to the roof once up to speed ,but no one seems to swipe them.
Have also had a 4ft Wilson firestick which was half a signal point beter than the Modulator but was inpractical for me truck and sold on.

clockworkorange
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:15 am

think id agree with ya too! but what i will through into the mix is the sirio performer 5000! i have been a wilson 5000 man for many years and had great performance! i even imported 2 predator 10k's from america (the yanks say the best mobile antenna ever!) and to be honest they are on par with the wilson i compared them both against a 102" whip and they were very nearly on par with that so impressive! then i bought the sirio performer 5000 and to be honest havent done the comparision yet but going by jsut using it i would say i think it will give wilson a run for there money! its a shorter sturdyer antenna than the 4000 which ill agree is a great performer but the whip is cheap and nasty it doesnt take to long to double them over!

hope this helps

73s kevin

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:03 pm

clockworkorange wrote:think id agree with ya too! but what i will through into the mix is the sirio performer 5000! i have been a wilson 5000 man for many years and had great performance! i even imported 2 predator 10k's from america (the yanks say the best mobile antenna ever!) and to be honest they are on par with the wilson i compared them both against a 102" whip and they were very nearly on par with that so impressive! then i bought the sirio performer 5000 and to be honest havent done the comparision yet but going by jsut using it i would say i think it will give wilson a run for there money! its a shorter sturdyer antenna than the 4000 which ill agree is a great performer but the whip is cheap and nasty it doesnt take to long to double them over!

hope this helps

73s kevin
Hi Kevin,

Thats interesting.... I like the performance of the Sirio 4000 but I agree, its a constant job straightening the bloody whip (same on my Sirio 3000). The 4000 is too big for the average mobile. I drive a Transit van and with the Sirio 3000/Wilson 1000 on..no one mentions anything..sure as eggs are eggs, put the Sirio 4000 on and all I hear is.'Cor....thats a big aerial...who do ya speak to on that..Russia?' Its a works van so I have to be a bit carefull...company image and all that :)

I will now look at the Sirio 5000, not sure of the length and price.

Thanks again for you feedback.

Ian
Bionic Budgie
My Only Worry Is That When I Die..My Wife Will Sell My Radio Gear For What I Told Her I'd Paid For It!

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Dragonfly wrote:Yes ide agree with your findings,Generally the bigger the antenna the more signal strength, The Wilsons and K40 s use a capacitor or something to hold the SWR across a very wide range and are also quality built and the right size for general mobile use but to expensive to leave on the top of a motor as they will walk.
The cheeper mobile antennas such as Modulators are generally very good but in a narrow bandwidth and if they are left on a van and stolen then you havent lost a fortune.
This is probably why we all have one of each of these mobile antennas.
Myself well i have kept a K40 for ocasional mobile use with me sideband radios , an old Marginplan tall bulwhip which stays on me truck and an old Modulator as spare.
Have had a wilson 1000 and cant remember why i sold it ,Olso had a sirio 4000 which was way to big for me truck and was sold on fairly quick.
Have had a small Dial-a-match which worked extremly well,dodle to tune and looked more like a car antenna and i may treet myself to another one for the car,not very long lasting though as the coil usually goes short after a couple of years.
Never had a springer ,there indestructable but hard to tune and not particularly efficient as they lay almost flat to the roof once up to speed ,but no one seems to swipe them.
Have also had a 4ft Wilson firestick which was half a signal point beter than the Modulator but was inpractical for me truck and sold on.
Hi Dragonfly,

How many times have I sold antenna's then regretted it... :(

Thanks for your input.

Ian