Groundplane and vehicle roof....

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Morat
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi there, I'm brand new to CB so I'm a bit confused. My setup is an intek h-520 plus with a car adapter kit and a mag mount mini orbiter I bought from Thunderpole. At least I ordered a mini orbiter but it said Trucker 80 on the packet... I don't think there's a whole lot of difference.

I've stuck the magmount on the rear left of the roof (easy cable run) and I was wondering if I'd be better off putting it in the middle of the roof to get a better ground plane. Also, does it make any difference that the roof of this vehicle (Jeep Cherokee) isn't flat and has roof bars on it?

Thanks for your answers :)
Morat

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:59 pm

needs to be on a flat part and away from the bars to get the swr down and it will be slightly directional
as well but if the swr is 1.5 or less then it will be fine

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Morat
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:03 pm

OK, thanks Stampman. The rear bar is only about six inches away at the moment, I'll move it forwards and see if it helps. I might move the base towards the centreline too - at the moment it is leaning slightly because the roof is curved.

joe jeep
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Joe-Jeep

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Stick it in the middle of the roof and your swr should be fine, i have roofbars aswell but my swr is 1.2:1 and that is a mag with a modulator on it.

Cheers
Joseph
Handle:Joe-Jeep
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.

Morat
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Is your jeep a Cherokee (XJ) by any chance?
Anyway, I've moved the antenna and shoved the roof bars as far forward and back as they will go. Now I just need to get my hands on an SWR meter for long enough to check it all out. :)
Thanks for the help.
Morat

joe jeep
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Joe-Jeep

Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

No it's not, we have a VW Touran, but the jeep I have is a 1944 Willys MB, is stick the mag in the back corner and the body as it is all steel is fantastic as a groundplane and the modulator looks just right, mainly for convoy work but i have had a 12 mile contact on it so all gd, hope you have good luck finding a swr meter if not our sponsors sell them, phone them up and ask for andy he'll sort you out, he is always a great help for me!

Cheers
Joseph
Handle:Joe-Jeep
On either UK19 or if you cant find me there try UK26.