Wilson 1000 troubles

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderators: stampman, FISH

Mavrick
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:08 am

Hi All,

Now this is something I have never come across before so I hope someone can help?

The kit list:
2002 Discovery 2 TD5
TTI 881
Gutter Mount fitted with Sirrio body mount and Wilson 1000, connected with new type DV lead (coax cut to 3.5 metres).

So the issue I have is I have trimmed the whip to achieve low SWR, however the SWR is so low it hardly moves the needle!... This I assumed was good but the power meter on the radio on transmit only goes half way?

Plugged back in the SWR/Power meter and set to Power, only to find it reading 8w output on UK channel 1 and 2w output on UK channel 40. If I adjust the whip height I can balance out the power output to 4w across the range but then the SWR is reading 1.5 to 3.0 from 1 to 40?

Thought ok, lets try it on the Wilson mag mount, solid 4w through the range, low SWR and the radio's power meter showing a full set of bars. Perfect!

So I figured there is something wrong somewhere between radio and antenna mount... Checked continuity on both coax cores, all good.... Checked continuity from one core to the other, no continuity, still all good.... Checked resistance of both cores, reading 0.01 ohms, all good... Checked continuity and resistance of mount to body, all good... Checked for shorting of coax to body, all good!....Conclusion, good earth and coax integrity is good!

Any ideas what could cause this? Anything else I should check please??... I am stumped!!

Many thanks,
Steve.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:42 pm

the mag coax is the perfect ground plane in length for the antenna power will vary according to swr so set the antenna to the channel you use most and you should be fine

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Mavrick
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Right that makes sense. Thanks Stampman, I will set it up as best compromise and test it out.
Cheers!