Antenna help

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

The Roadie
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Fri May 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Hello all, not been on here for a while.

Later this month I am driving my 1972 Mini Clubman all the way to Lithuainia for the International Mini Meet with some mates in their Minis.

I am fitting my setup into this car for the first time. I have not used it for a while as I haven't had a Mini on the road for a while.

My current setup is:

Midland 278, standard 4w output - bought new in 2013, used once.
7" turbo mag mount - bought new in 2013, also used once.
5ft Orbiter/Stinger antenna - bought about 10 years ago, a bit rusty. The only thing left from my original rig.

Temporarily rigged it all up to my daily driver Mondeo this afternoon and my SWR is 1.5 on Ch 20, 1.4 on Ch1 and 1.6 on Ch 40. I realise that this may be different on the Mini but I think my average SWR used to be about 1.3.

All in all, should I purchase a new antenna? Correct me if I am wrong but it is still serviceable but not ideal.
If I do purchase a new antenna I thought about getting a stainless Orbiter, as I know they can take the knocks from low trees etc on the move. Any other suggestions?

I know it sounds fickle but as I mainly use my rig on retro cars I like a decent looking antenna. I really like the way the Orbiter looks but I understand it leaves a lot to be desired. The only other one I think looks "period" enough is a K40 but I am concerned that with having an encased coil it would be more susceptible to damage when I'm out on some twisty roads!! :D Plus it is much more expensive.

I have also heard I may be able to modify my Midland 278 to make 10w output quite easily. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Cheers,
Ed

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat May 02, 2015 6:01 pm

The springer type antennas work quite well but do have a tendancy to bend well over at speed ,

Here are 2 other good retro look antennas that have similar performance to the large springers .

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/large-cb-a ... devil.html

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/large-cb-a ... yager.html

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat May 02, 2015 6:19 pm

I dont no if CB radios are checked for legality in each country you will pass through but they will all use different frequencies and power output but here is a pic i found on the net that claims to up the power when the green loop is sniped .
Attachments
Midland 278 power mod (2).jpg
Midland 278 power mod (2).jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 1463 times