Thunderstick no TX?

General Mobile CB antenna advice and troubleshooting
Tris
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

When keying the Mic I get no indication of the TX on the SWR meter at all? Aerial is all connected up ok only received it today in the post. Anything I'm doing wrong? Aerial is plugged in fully and the bezel wound on tight. I don't have to earth the aerial do I?

Uniden Uniace 200 in the garage with antenna in the back garden.
Tris
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

To ground the aerial at home what is the best way to do this? Intention was to fit it to the garage roof.
Tris
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Further reading online would suggest due to the aerial not being grounded is the reason for poor setup. So as I do not wish to waste the ££ I have spent so far on this antenna is it possible to add another one underneath with an adaptor in the middle to create a dipole and provide the grounding to get a decent performance?

Thinking along these lines:

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/homebase-f ... re-38.html

What size antenna would be best on the other side to achieve this? Another Thunderstick or is a smaller antenna better for this configuration?
Tris
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Shame to see this forum is so quiet. Decided to go for a smaller antenna with a smaller range instead of investing further into this one to make it work correctly with either a groundplane or conversion to a dipole.

Thunderpole Excalibur is my new aerial of choice should be spot on for what I want. Will report back when I have it setup and installed.
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

has it always been this quiet on here I'm surprised nobody has replied to your post Tris but there again I've not been on here for years rolls eyes,

OK the thunderstick with it been top loaded like the famous firestiks not sure if the thunderstick are 5/8 wave or not though 😕 but still should work well if you had a 6" magmount & had it on your metal roof on your garage then you would have had a great swr reading of 1.1 ish but with top loaded antennas you can always tune them in by taking the cap off & change the settings to lower your swr

sorry for returning back onto here to late for you & sorry you wasted your money on a Excalibur

also the taller the thunderstick is the better it will perform 😉