What are good 11m SSB radios to use.

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Guy-S
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:13 pm

What are good 11m SSB radios to use.
I need some help please - What are some good 11m SSB radios that can also be used on UK40FM.

I have a problem that i'm sure lots & lots of other people have the same problem & i was hoping someone can help me... :?:

In my town, there are people I've known for years who are all on the CB & i've known & spoken to them for years.
Some of them have modified 11m SSB radios to get on the UK40, but quite a few of them do not run a SSB radio but just a standard UK40 \ CEPT rig.

I need an 11m radio that doesn't need to be modified on which I can go on SSB when the skip is right for it, & then when I'm finished, I can flick back to the UK40 & chat to my friends in & around my town.

It would be good to have a nice CLEAN UN-MODIFIED radio that did it all

What are some good radios to have the best of both worlds... SSB and UK40 ?
Are there some good new radios about? :?:

For example... :?:
Does the Superstar 3900, have a variable KC like my Ham International Concorde II does?
If so... what about a 3900 with a frequency counter? Or the 3900 with the frequency counter built in?

Built in frequency counter in blue looks so nice.
External frequency counter doesn't look as good.

Can anyone help...?

FISH
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:26 pm

iv got a superstar 3900eft here their look nice blue but i havnt had time to play on it yet bud.
26 TANGO MIKE 501

Guy-S
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:33 pm

I was thinking about a Superstar 3900, especialy the EFT but I dont know Superstars at all. How does the Course work.
On my Ham International Concorde II, I've got a Tune and Clarifier on seperate knobs. My Tune is my variable +5 and -5 kc shift.
Is the Course the same as my Tune to allow it to go down -4 kc to get on to the UK40?
If it is... that's just what I'm after.

:?:

FISH
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:00 pm

like i said i haven't had time to play on it yet sorry
26 TANGO MIKE 501

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:55 am

ranger would fit the bill

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

FISH
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:06 am

rangers are nice piece off kit
26 TANGO MIKE 501

FISH
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:18 pm

A bit of information about the 3900eft

The new Superstar 3900EFT is a AM-FM-SSB-CW mobile radio.

10 watts AM-FM, 20 watts PEP SSB output.

Features include blue display channel, S meter and 6-digit frequency counter, Volume, Squelch, Mike and RF gain, Echo control and Talk Back moitor, variable power, integral SWR meter, 10k shift, switchable Roger Bleep, ANL and noise blanker.
12 x 40 channel banks.

DROP ME A PM MATE ABOUT THIS RADIO
26 TANGO MIKE 501

ForzaCFC
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:32 am

there is only one all mode 11m radio that will fit your requirements;
The 'President George' full coverage 26 - 30mhz all mode, built in echo,freq display, basically has everything you can think of etc etc.Its fast becoming a legend in its own right and you can still find most of them in france for sale, UK stock is virtually diminshed, when available around £120.00 to £230.00. ( I picked up one for £92.00, mint condition,boxed etc hardly used, can honestly say I wish I never sold it. #-o #-o )
No modification required for UK 40, just set the code on the front panel and it will set to the UK frequency and show channels on lcd display correctly; unlike other radios that show ch19 as ch33 etc. That is why all day it will kick a 'President Lincolns' and all the other pretenders butts with regards to no mods required- end of discussion. :D :D :D

Viper
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:22 am

There is always the old school choice of the NATO 2000 it has uk 40 as well as being an all-mode sidebander, a very good quality radio using the 001 cybernet board.

ForzaCFC
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun May 16, 2010 12:35 pm

ForzaCFC wrote:there is only one all mode 11m radio that will fit your requirements;
The 'President George' full coverage 26 - 29mhz all mode, built in echo,freq display, basically has everything you can think of etc etc.Its fast becoming a legend in its own right and you can still find most of them in france for sale, UK stock is virtually diminshed, when available around £120.00 to £230.00. ( I picked up one for £92.00, mint condition,boxed etc hardly used, can honestly say I wish I never sold it. #-o #-o )
No modification required for UK 40, just set the code on the front panel and it will set to the UK frequency and show channels on lcd display correctly; unlike other radios that show ch19 as ch33 etc. That is why all day it will kick a 'President Lincolns' and all the other pretenders butts with regards to no mods required- end of discussion. :D :D :D
:oops: :oops: Humble pie is a great thing in large dollops now and again,
With that in mind - the above article written by me was technically not correct, reason being the George profoundly first of all is a CB, yes its expandable upto 29mhz
but is it the best !! I dont know but sure gonna have some fun finding out over the next couple of months. Just aquired a Ranger 2950DX (Mint and boxed £140 -so I'll be comparing the 2 over the summer during the latest skip / propogation. 8) 8)

simon007
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: Simon007

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:08 pm

3900EFT has some real issues. I had 6 of them, and all had something. Mis-Spelled CRT name on the front, scratches on the top and bottom case, you name it there was something wrong. Drifted around 45 minutes and then was semi stable but not great, never on spot frequency, horrid audio on FM as we know they are all tuned for AM. President George they are great indeed 26060-28760 when modified and some of them came with the BIG final and so can sit all day at 40w SSB and around 30w FM/AM.

There is a new SSB coming along, it has a HUGE display on the front that can do signal, BIG FREQUENCY DISPLAY, echo, split, roger bleep all on the screen and the thing looks something like a Superstar too, Chinese manufactured. I have some photos of the board from unit PROTO001 and have seen the manual and also the first completed prototype but sadly at the moment need the makers approval as am helping them with some issues.

What it has at the moment:

Roger Bleep
10KC Button
HI Cut for Audio
NB/ANL
SWR
ECHO
SPLIT
SCANS MEMORY CHANNELS / FREQUENCIES

Bands A-F
AM/FM/USB/LSB/CW
Power at the moment variable from 1-15w AM/FM and 5-25w SSB
Clarifier, and when pull out the button it works as a KC Shift also

And all this on a BIG DISPLAY, it looks great. Sadly, have seen the board and front panel connected via crocodile clips and the completed radio but not switched on,,,, but it will come..........

An EU company is looking into it, so could be sold as a multi norm like the Jackson II with SSB.
Writer of Comms from Europe Radio User Magazine

extremedave
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:33 pm

simon,can't you give us any more information on the radio,is it getting nearer to the market yet?

simon007
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: Simon007

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:38 am

Yes it is on the market in LIMITED numbers as the

COMTEX CS1000DX

Or as protoype as the Hannover BR9000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h27WXX1tuEQ OR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Trr7sb ... re=related

Comes December software locked for 10m As the MAAS DX5000. 199euros for the radio and then you need another 50e to unlock it for 11m
Space inside for optional voice recorder board, CTSS and many other goodies still under development

And of course there is the HURACAN and OPTIMA that are now mail order from the Far East Available and here are the protoypes of these for you to have a look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yul3zcrYU8 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46VsjJCEjqw

Best Wishes

Simon
Writer of Comms from Europe Radio User Magazine

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:49 am

Looks a very versatile radio ,Software expandable UK 40 programable ,would look better with a chrome front me thinks- http://www.cbradio.nl/Comtex/Comtex_CS1 ... 1000DX.htm

I like this one better for looks ,would be the same to use as a 3900eft- http://www.cbradio.nl/Connex/Connex_480 ... x_4800.htm

Superstar 3900eft ,nice.

Moving from your Ham Concord 2 to a Uniden board will need a Power supply Upgrade as Unidens pull 7amp at 10wat fm output ,Ham radios only use around 2-3 amps at 10wats.
Best bang for bucks that i no of is the Tristar 747 , 16 wats output fm ,at 2-3 amps drawn but it must be Epromed or expanded to cover the muppet channels.

Kenwood man
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Stalker 9fdx, cobra 148, superstar 360fm/3900 all of them, President lincoln / 2830, Ranger 2950, president grant, the list goes on.

Just bought a box standard superstar 3900 of the air for £65.00 all standard so ch19= 33 with kc shift turned to 9 o clock.

Works with 26 ch of fm cb band in the high band and get the rest with super high, But as many never shift off 19 or 2 channels up it never matters.

It works all 40ch on the rest and high band is 27.555

It really depends on how much you want to spend and what and where you want to use it, the stalker is great for a muppets and 27.555 rig but not many channels more.

The tried and trusted cobra 148/superstar 360 speak for themselves now over 30 years old and comanding over £100.00 on the net auction sites.

A cybernet rig like a multi mode ll works ok it's the same coverage as many of the above in standard form, just audio quality not as good as uniden rigs.