Radio for home and car use

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

cdaw
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase my first radio to use in my car (as I travel a lot) as well as at home.

So the questions would be:

- What handheld is good for home/car use - would ideally run from the 12v in the car and batteries or charger in the house and also good availability of accessories (a mic/ear piece would be ideal to prevent noise at home)

- I have a 12 reg Vauxhall Corsa which would need an aerial - just not sure if I could mount one on the boot as the angle of the boot when open leaves little clearance and also want to remove at times to prevent vandalism

- Then an aerial for home use - would have to be wall mounted but would need to be about 1m from the wall to miss the gutter - I have clear view east and south - my bathroom extends to the north and main part of the house to the west (I'm on floor up in a semi).

Thanks
Chris
Amateur call sign: M6UCW
Uniden USC230 , Baofeng UV-5R , Yaesu FT-7900 , Icom IC-207H , CS700
Find me on GB3AL, GB3HR & GB7NS (DMR) and scanning many others
Also scanning VHF, UHF & DMR simplex frequencies

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:15 am

cheaper to fit a mobile than a hand held in the car and you can buy stand of brackets to sort the home base out but best bet is to get the antenna on the chimney useng double lashing kits its easier

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

AppleTree
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Ben

Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:39 pm

As said by Mr Stampman is it easier to install a mobile unit in your car, than use a handheld.

And easier to install a base station in your home, or a mobile unit with a PSU.
Something like an orbitor antenna for your car would be great with a mag mount.

And some kind of silver rod, pole would be great for your house, you can buy brackets to bolt it onto the side of your house, that's how I have mine ;)
One Life, Live It!

Buzzin' Around Channel 11 Usually.