Cofused over frequencies

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

hexpert
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi all :D
thinking of getting back after yearrrrrrssss away (around 1990) and now I find the choice confusing. Originally it was 27/81, now there's 27/97 and soon to be 27/2014. On top of this there's a UK/EU button on radios. In the past I had an AM/SSB rig and an FM rig, I'm going to stick with FM for now.
Can anyone clear up my confusion. :shock:

Is it better to go for the older 27/81 rigs and are they still legal?
Are 27/97 rigs backwards compatible with 27/81 rigs?
Why do the new rigs say UK use only but have a UK/EU button?

hexpert
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:31 pm

Was looking at radios on ebay and just found one marked 27/94, now even more confused :?:

Breaker Breaker
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
CB Handle: Space Commander

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Just found this on a different website hope all this explains your questions :)

CB 27/81 - This is the original legal stamp for UK CB Radios. Introduced in 1981, the CBs with this stamp are only legal to use in the UK. Using FM and consists of the 40 channels we know and love, the 'muppet' band. MPT1320 is another stamp of the exact standard.

CEPT Mid Band Europe CB Band
CEPT - The European CB Radio band, or in the UK, MIDBAND. Radios carrying this stamp are legal to use both in the United Kingdom and Europe. Many older 27/81 sets have over the years been modified to have MIDBAND aswell as the UK 40.

PR27/94 Moden Lega Stamp.
PR 27/94 - The newer model radios from 1994 carried this stamp. It uses the exact same UK Channels as the 27/81 Cb Radios but tougher conditions set by the home office meant these radios had narrower filters, making them thin sounding, quieter and generally less efficient to the Breaker.

PR27/97 or MPT1382, the dual cb band standard stamp.
MPT 1382 or PR27/97 - The late nineties stamp that basically combined the CEPT and PR 27/94 for use on 80 channel dual band radios. Radios bundled with this stamp are legal only in this country, and cannot be used in Europe as the unit contains the offsetted UK CB Band.

EC Multiband CB Radio
European Multi Standard - Most radios bought today are usually all European Multi Standard. This is a system were by upon switching on your radio, the CB will ask for your country. Once you select the country, the radio would then operate according to that countries legal CB bands. Ideal for truck drivers who drive accross the continent, if only the truck drivers still used the CB, a tiny fraction still do, but most do not thanks to mobile phones and sat navs.

And the UK/EU button switches frequencies to comply with EU laws if you ever go out of the UK :)

hope this helps you out a little :)
Jack (Space Commander) ;)

hexpert
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks, that helps. It's just I didn't know which radios to go for. To me it seems a bit stupid that you can have a rig that uses EU bands but can't be used there because it contains other bands.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:56 am

the rule is if it is set to the band of the country you are in it is legal set to any other band and that makes it illegal so if it is set to the uk frequancy in france that makes it illegal in france

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

hexpert
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:38 pm

stampman wrote:the rule is if it is set to the band of the country you are in it is legal, set to any other band and that makes it illegal so if it is set to the uk frequancy in france that makes it illegal in france

Thanks, that's what I assumed would be the case. But then looking at many radios, why do they have writing saying "For use in the UK only" if you can set it to EU band and use it legally in EU?

That's why I'm getting confused :? :?

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:50 am

its easier printing it on the box rather than altering the rigs in manufacture so they only work on the set freq for the country they are in

if it anit broke dont fix it

hexpert
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:34 pm

8) Thanks

mburton2
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:18 am

I'm still confused!

I have a couple of old Midland HandHelds, that have a "UK/EU" button, Which I thought meant I could use it in Europe when in "EU" mode)...& I often do as I regularly drive UK>France>Belgium

However, on the back of the set, it say "For use in UK only" (Yet it defaults to "EU" upon switch on)

Anyone shed any light?

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:37 pm

It's because it is an older radio, before the multiband radios came about. So it is PR27/97 spec most probably...
PR27/97 or MPT1382, the dual cb band standard stamp.
MPT 1382 or PR27/97 - The late nineties stamp that basically combined the CEPT and PR 27/94 for use on 80 channel dual band radios. Radios bundled with this stamp are legal only in this country, and cannot be used in Europe as the unit contains the offsetted UK CB Band.
You are technically using the correct frequencies in Europe, so I shouldn't think it would cause too much of a problem, unless someone read the back of the radio and had a problem with it, which is very unlikely.

Andy :wink:

borbala
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Me too. I haven't used a cb radio since the early 90's and I just bought a tiny little cb radio.. a CRT 1. When I switch it on it displays EU then the LCD displays the channel. Whats the craic here then, am I supposed to be able to switch this to UK? Sorry for newbie question! :)

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:07 am

Hi Borbala,

I am sorry but I don't have any info on that radio as we don't sell it.

If you bought it from the UK then it should have the UK channels in it somewhere. You would be best to contact the company you bought it from who will be able to advise how to get the UK channels.

Andy :wink:

HighwayPatrol
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
CB Handle: Highway Patrol

Tue May 31, 2016 11:04 pm

I have the CRT One n which is the same as yours but with an S meter. Press and hold the A/F button and turn rig on. You will see the country code showing.Press the up or down button on the mic to change from EU to UK. The UK code will be displayed with a letter U. When u have selected the Uk band turn the rig off and then on.You are now on the UK FM. Repeat the above to select EU for cept midband which allows you to use either AM or FM. AM doesnt work on UKFM. The A/F button on EU band lets you switch from AM to FM.
Baofeng UV 5R
CRT Superstar 3900

Now a member of Charlie Tango Group.

26 CT 2325 :D