New rig- high SWR

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Moderators: FISH, stampman

New to the Scene
New to the Scene
CB Handle: tanglefoot

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi all. I hope someone can help please. I have a campervan (Mazda Bongo) and pretty new to CB.
1. Has a full length lifting roof, fibreglass, hinged on the off-side. There is a large solar panel on the rear of the roof.
2. There are metal gutters but unuseable due to the hinged lifting roof offside and an Awning attachment to nearside on the gutter.
3. There are no metal body areas to enable a vertical aerial, such as a mag-mount.
4. I do not want to drill holes in the bodywork.
5. There is a small area at the rear of the offside gutter where I mounted a small springer type aerial on a gutter mount after scraping away a small section of paintwork.
6. I could fit a mount on the tailgate but it would have to lift the aerial clear of the spoiler as there is only a small gap between that and the body.

I have a new CRT-ONE mini CB (and a SWR meter bought from Thunderpole).

Problem: SWR over 3 in the red on both the Springer and a small magmount aerial. I have no room for moving the mount around.

All the CB set-up bits are brand new but obviously something is not right?
Could anyone recommend, maybe, a better aerial set-up or a different way of mounting the one I have? I am going to try an earth strap first. Many thanks for any advice and apologies for the essay. :? :?