midland 78 power display question ?

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

markp
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi guys,first return to cb radio in 35 years !,bought a midland alan 78 ..orbitor 1.5 m with mag mount fitted on my van
plugged it all in today for the first time ..swr a bit high at 2 but ill work on this ..now when i keyed the mic for the first time on ch 20 the power showing on the radio display was only 1.5 watts ! ..on ch 1 its even worse 0.5 watts on ch 40 its 2.5 watts ..so either the power display is lying and at fault or my radio is down on power for some reason
THEN if you plug into the swr and run/talk through the swr the radio display is showing 4 watts all the way .
the swr has a power test aswell and it shows 4 watts.do radios auto reduce power if they sense high swr as a safety,,why then is it showing full power when plugged into the swr ?
my first chat was with a guy 6 miles away (google earth checked ) and he said i was coming through loud and clear at strength 8.
any ideas ..shall i take it back to maplins ! ..thanks mark poole dorset
EDIT ..IVE JUST READ TWO OTHER PEOPLE ON HERE HAD THE SAME ISSUE

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:18 am

first of all welcome now you can not get a true power reading from an swr / power meter unless you have a perfect 13.9 volts going into it and a dummy load on the antenna side of the swr meter as an antenna will lose power or not get rid of all the power my set use to spend more time on the bench than in the car till i said sod it it will do and it has performed ok for the last few years.if you worry about it it will drive you nurotic so put in get the swr about 1.5 and enjoy

*King* *King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

markp
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:44 pm

brilliant thanks stampman :)