Midland Alan 78

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

James1
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:11 am

Hi,could anyone tell me the difference between the two CV radios I have been given.they are both midland Alan 78 plus.one has a button saying: am/FM and underneath the button it has LCR.the other has written on the same button:EU/UK. The latter one also has a sticker on saying or 27/97 and for UK use only.I have had CV radios in my wagons for almost 30 years but know very little about them.I have recently swapped jobs to a local tipper firm and was told the rest of the lads use duel FM/am so would be better getting the same also some of the quarries I will be going to ,the plant and loading shovel drivers use FM CV radios.so of these two I was given could anyone advise of the difference. The one with EU/UK on does look older.other than that they are identical.thanks.

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:41 am

Think the 78 plus with EU/UK button is the earlier FM only 80 channel model , The 78 plus with AM/FM button is the later Multynorm model with european bands ,The AM mode wont work on the UK band , To get 4 wats AM use the Italian Band .

James1
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Great,thanks for the reply.so if I wire that one in then press the button on to am as and when I need it.so I presume if the Italian channel is the four watts let's hope that's the one they are using.

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:46 am

Hold in buttons UK/EU and Scan while switching on to change between countries , press UK to save .

Scroll down to see country symbol and power output http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/mobile-cbs ... lti-b.html

James1
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks for that,...that answers something.I plugged it in on Monday and I couldn't find the foreign channel's. I thought I must have done something wrong or took the wrong one to work.I will try that tomorrow.... I saw people talking and searched the channel's but couldn't hear anything.