What is Mic Keying please?

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

woodbine
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:59 pm

A friend set me up with my first CB today (Realistic TRC-2001), needs some repair work but perfect as a project to get into this hobby and learn the fundamentals.

Anyway, I was at his house and he was showing off his workshop....very impressive with lots of gear in there, and he uses CB, Ham (Licensed), and Marine equipment among others, as he is ex military. There were incoming messages as we stood there and he told me they were ships coming down the Bristol Channel. Amazing!

So he was showing me everything and how it operates briefly, and he said something a few times....He kept referring to 'Keying his Mic' I cant find anything on this, other than a CB-Slang dictionary type thing that says "To key a Microphone is to hold down the button without talking"

Why the heck would you do that ?....if your holding the button, you should be talking, otherwise no other person can talk back to you? if you dont want to hear them surely you just turn the thing off, or down a bit

Please could someone kindly explain to me the purpose of 'Keying a Mic' and why I may need to do it.

Thank You Kindly...

Ben

and apologies for the newbie question - I am aged 31 and self-teaching electronics as a hobby and skill, and I wanted to learn to build basic radios to get an understanding of Radiowaves, and Electromagnetism amongst more. So CB radios seemed to appeal to me. When I fix my CB I can't wait to get on there and see if anyonelse is out there!

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:05 am

mic keying is done by idiots who lack the intelligence to join in or hold a conversation with anyone of the human race and i would discourage you from doing it

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:32 pm

there a pain. just stupid idiots #-o