Band Usage

General CB Radio Advice and Troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

LoneWolf
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:47 pm

I've been out of CB for 30 years now. Just making an attempt at getting back in (still to buy a rig).
How has the 12 watts on SSB taken off ? Do many people use it, or do they just stick to the UKFM 40 ?
I have an Intermediate Ham licence, so don't know what to buy rig wise.
I like the Cobra 29 LX, but that doesn't have SSB and only 1w on am from what I have read.
The Grant 2 Premium also looks good.
I've heard many people getting CRT's etc in expanded mode.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:13 pm

take a look at a 10 / 11 meter radio. i like the president radios

bobthetank
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:03 pm

President Grant 2 Premium
President Lincoln 2+Export version
CRT also do a few ssb models but personally id stick with President as better quality builds.

If going portable handheld I can recommend the President Randy 2,really built like professional VHF equipments and works really well and built rugged.
The lafayette Urano is a slightly cut down version,NO ANL-AM Auto noise limiter,no mobile adaptor antenna connection pin like Randy 2,shorter TNC flexi antenna compared to RAndy 2,but still a good set compared with some of the toys from past!
Specs of radio really good and on par with professional equipment (yes I have tested them on test gear),FM and Am TX and RX superb.

Most bands really are
ch14 EU band Am calling
ch19 EU band Am mobile
27.275mhz Upper side band UK calling

and usual UK40

I sometimes listen in the German DE band for DX fm in 26,515 to 26.955 channels 41-80 can be quite fun to listen too as many have simplex repeaters operating there when condition right.

Most sets in Export mode will cover 25.615 to 30.105mhz (not legal in UK apart from HAM 10m band or Russia CIS countries)

CB has changed in its way used and a lot of the silliness has gone away generally and operators are professional in manner,plus range is a lot better now due to quieter channels and better radio kit,so welcome back to CB bands!
CTX nets are also great fun on week days and weekends plus you now have SSB legal for DX.

Rob 73's
WT-27
Newport S Wales