CB trouble. New user.

Place to come if youre having technical issues, including mic wiring

Moderator: stampman

BounceBen
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:07 pm

Hello! I am new to the CB radio scene. Found an old Radio the other day. So thought I would try and wire it in my van. Went and bought a antenna with a mag mount and a swr meter. Tried hooking it up and no luck. I have a handheld receiver and when I speak into the mic it cone through loud and clear. But I can't hear anything from my unit and signal appears to be poor. I have done the swr check and my channel 1 reading is between 3 and set on meter and my channel 40 is sitting at 1.5. I have to change my antenna length I think. But I can't as the whip is at its longest setting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ben

clouseau
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:10 am

in some areas of the country there is very little activity, which is probably why you are not receiving anyone apart from yourself lol. as far as your SWR goes you need to to adjust your aerial so you get a more even level across the whole band, although a high SWR has more of an impact on transmission than reception in my experience. SWR is connected to the percentage of power your actually transmitting. aim for an SWR averaging at least 1.5 over the whole 40 channels. even an SWR of 2 is considered satisfactory, but anything over that figure means your rig is more likely to overheat, and you wont be sending out a very strong signal. its pointless trying to get an SWR of less than 1.5, and those who claim to have a reading of either 1.1 or even nothing are sadly mistaken. thats because a 1.1 level would indicate you were transmitting 100% of your power, which would also indicate you have a perfect antenna system, which is theoretically impossible. the reason why some SWR meters may indicate 1.1 or zero is because CB SWR meters are not very accurate. you can never transmit 100% of your power. if you continue to have issues with SWR, you may want to consider trying a different ground plane, trying a different antenna, or else buying a new aerial thats pretuned.

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:34 pm

It sounds like your antenna is to short , Try the Mag mount in different places on the roof and move the car away from the garage or house when tuning the antenna .

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:09 pm

antenna dose sound a bit short , What is the old CB that you found , Is it UK 40 FM or USA 40 AM .

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:03 pm

ANTENNA is definitely 2 short readings should be about 1.4 on ch 1 and 1.9 on ch 40 so looks like it needs a new steel whip in the antenna

*King* *King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it