MidLand 78 and skyscan mobile antenna

Place to come if youre having technical issues, including mic wiring
lillew
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Hi All

Im pretty new to the world of cb radios

i currently have my midland 78 setup in my car and i have just got hold of a (other company) skyscan mobile antenna and i am having problems hearing or being heard on the waves

cb is mounted at the front of my car and the antenna is mounted at the back on the roof (mag mount) with the cable taking the longest possible route

it is swr in at a range of 1.2 - 1.5 on ch 1-19-40 fm uk

if i key up it shows all the bars on the scale if i leave it on scan and drive around i cant seem to hear alot of chatter but when i do hear someone i ask if they can here me but i dont seem to get a reply my earth and live it run directly off my battery and i an replace the wiring for new stuff with an inlline fuse.
i also have a burner but i cant remember what watt this is but i have tried with this connected and disconnected.

i am pretty stumbed as it worked before on my old whip antenna which got stolen

Please can anyone advise
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

as far as i know the skyscan antenna is a scanner antenna and not designed for cb radio and not to tx through ytr with a proper cb antenna designed for the job

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
lillew
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

stampman wrote:as far as i know the skyscan antenna is a scanner antenna and not designed for cb radio and not to tx through ytr with a proper cb antenna designed for the job

cheers king

well according to the staff at maplins it would work the freq range on the box says 25mhz - 2000mhz RX my understanding is thhat cb rx freq are aroun 16mhz to 28mhz so i should aleast be able to hear people or am i wrong thinking this im gonna give it another go at swr it in and adjust antenna heights and fingers crossed
Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

It should pick up (RX) but i dont think you will get a decent enough SWR to use it for transmit (TX) . I would take it back to the shop .
Or if the thread is 3/8 you could put a Thunderpoll FM27P Antenna on that 95mm magnet and get out quite good .
The Halfbreed type antennas (FM27P) work fine on smaller magnets as long as you stay below 80mph .
http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/medium-cb- ... fm27p.html
lillew
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

well i have an update my cb has since blew and output so i have given it to my mate to repair and i have now brought crt ss 3900 and freq counter for £80 it is all like new even had the clear wraps on all screens and a sirio 4000pl whip and mag mount the sky scanner is now going back to shop tomorrow
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Maplin strike again was once told by a maplin sales man that the 6 transistors the sold would replace any other one in a radio did there reputation a lot of good

if it anit broke dont fix it
Radiotronics
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Brilliant.

Almost all scanner antennas will have a frequency range you can transmit on, but it's never going to be the same as they receive ranges. I'd check the antenna spec. Otherwise, if you transmit using an antenna that's not tuned for the freq. you're transmitting on, you'll almost definitely blow your output transistors (or possibly worse!).