Newbie a bit lost

Place to come if youre having technical issues, including mic wiring

Moderator: stampman

Landyboy
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi
Just joined forum and need some help please. I have a harrier cbx unit. I am able to pick up and hear signal from other users no problem. When I try to transmit, the reading on the dial goes up to around 6 and the tx light goes on but it seems nobody can hear me. I bought a new replacement mic from Maplins but that's worse as it doesn't seem to do anything at all ie no reading and no tx light.
I am not sure what to do next. Can somebody help me please? I don't have an swr meter and I'm using a stinger aerial on a mag mount.

Cheers

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:25 am

Hi,

I would say that there is either a fault with the radio or the mic and the mic you have bought is wired incorrectly (there are several different configurations for 4 pin plugs and Maplins probably wouldn't have known this).

I would try a microphone that is definitely wired correctly for the Harrier CBX and see if you have any luck, and if you don't then it points to the radio.

A standard £8.99 mic will do... http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-microph ... phone.html

The only other thing to try is make sure the Mic Gain is turned fully up on the front.

Andy :wink:

Landyboy
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:38 pm

andy@thunderpole.co.uk wrote:Hi,

I would say that there is either a fault with the radio or the mic and the mic you have bought is wired incorrectly (there are several different configurations for 4 pin plugs and Maplins probably wouldn't have known this).

I would try a microphone that is definitely wired correctly for the Harrier CBX and see if you have any luck, and if you don't then it points to the radio.

A standard £8.99 mic will do... http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-microph ... phone.html

The only other thing to try is make sure the Mic Gain is turned fully up on the front.

Thanks Andy. Another couple of points that are worth mentioning. I tried the original microphone with another radio and same issues. Just wondering if it could be the aerial ? Does the fact I was receiving signal very clearly eliminate the aerial as an issue or can a faulty aerial receive signals but not transmit? I assume not but I don't know.

Thanks

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:30 am

If you tried the original mic with another radio and had the same issues, then it could point to the microphone.

It could also be the antenna though, as an antenna could receive well and transmit badly if the SWR is too high, so that is definitely worth testing if you haven't already. If you are not sure about SWR read this... http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/cb-radio-guide-swr.html

If you know someone who also has a CB you could try parking close by to see if you are transmitting any signal at all. If it is the mic at fault, you might be transmitting a dead carrier (signal with no voice).