Midland Alan 42

Place to come if youre having technical issues, including mic wiring

Moderator: stampman

chand-o
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi, I have been given an old midland alan 42 hand held radio that is about 4 years old.

When you turn it on the white noise crackles a bit (more than normal) and when you transmit the power is less than 1 watt on the indicator. I used the batteries and antenna of my other Alan 42 so i know the are good. At a guess i would say someone has been transmitting without an antenna attach (or a poorly matched one) and damaged something. I found a service manual online but it only shows the schematics. I am guessing that its either Q108 or Q107.

Does anyone have any experience in this type of repair? I have tried to attach the pdf manual but it wont let me. If anyone is interested, if you google ServiceManual_Midland-Alan_42_Multi you will find it.

Cheers
Matt

bobthetank
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:51 pm

Hi Matt
best get it too a repair CB technician with correct test gear if guessing,trying to diagnose faults like this on forums can be very difficult
until on a radio bench to look at properly.

Handheld can often have issues with there antenna BNC socket or bad\dry solder joints on antenna connector internally.
Often dropped,dry joints can happen.
Volume pots can go noisy too,often seal units so replacements needed
Have you tried RF power using the 12V adapter ,just to make sure batteries arnt shot?
Visuals inspections can often show faults sometimes.

If you do have test equipment and skill then shouldn't be an issue fault finding spare ,parts im unsure where you can get,poss thunderpole?
best of luck

Rob

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 am

yes you will find very few reputable dealers will sell you spare parts as they have learned in life that when then customer makes a pigs ear of fitting it the they are on the phone saying you sold me a duff one so itseasier just to do the repair thereselves

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it