Worth buying a rig?

General Chat - one nine for a roger!

Moderators: FISH, stampman

Straycat
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 am

I have a scanner and regularly scan Uk Cb channels . Its very very quiet i live in Sale Greater Manchester and would have thought it would be fairly active. I an in two minds as to wether spend hard earned money on a complete set up.Any breakers on here in Manchester area !.Can you tell me is it worth the investment. Thanyou
Straycat

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:31 pm

most people just sit on channel 19 all day around here playing music and dead keying. it might be a different story in your town or city. there are some good old cbers about still :)

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:12 pm

My opinion is that without a positive attitude CB radio will eventually be non existent. There are good cber's to be found here and there.....But, they are thin on the ground. You need to be mobile, or on high ground to find them though....So unless you are into DX along with the other rig, twig and power pack brigade who delight in signal and mod reports only, then it's not good.....I recently drove from my hometown in Cornwall to Stanwick in Northhants and never made contact with anybody on channel 19 during my five hour journey :( It is sad! Those that can remember the hey days of CB, know how much fun it was....10 codes...Eye balls and wind ups.......and out running both buzby and the police back in the good old AM days, before the UK FM floodgates opened.....To think I argued for the legal use of AM/SSB.....Why? I ask myself these days....Thankfully, we have an AM net still in operation here in my neck of the woods......So in between repairing the odd old valve commercial receiver....which gives me great pleasure when they crackle back into life. I still manage to get copies in with some good old breakers :)

Asterix
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi , I still think there's some good cb ers still out there, although they do seem to be thin on the ground, I have had some good contacts when i've been been mobile around the seven bridge / wales area. I think a lot of bad language used on the air has put people off from using it, especially when kids are on board! and the brainless idiots who think its fun playing music on the breaking channel all day long. Its a shame because cb could be used for so many good reasons ie traffic conditions etc. The old am had unwritten codes you followed, one of them I remember was not to transmit when close to hospitals etc , just in case of interfering with the hospitals instruments, can you imagine that happening today if the old AM was used ??? but used properly it was fun. You never know once the dick heads have got bored and given up cb because no ones out there, FM/ AM cb will come back strong again and fun. I hope so, This is just my opinion, I don't know what other breakers think ? it would be interesting maybe to get some feedback on this !

dc4
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
CB Handle: Doug!

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:05 pm

i reckon it would not be a bad thing getting yourself a rig and kit straycat. im not in manchester but see lists of nets that guys run up north and always see lads on saddleworth moor and stations close by so that maybe worth looking into? i would say get an ssb rig straight off as opposed to just a ukfm set as so many more options available and more distance too. give it a whirl worst case scenario you can always sell good kit if its looked after in the first place! i have a president grant 2 purchased through the thunderpole site, last week on a tank whip and a little help i reached south devon from guildford, 129 miles as the crow flies! does get addictive! all the best!

Asterix
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:57 pm

good point about the ssb rigs dc4, its worth a try