Has everyone gone to the moon?

General Chat - one nine for a roger!

Moderator: stampman

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:57 pm

What a sad state cb radio is in....The younger generation are not inspired at all by two way radio comms, which brings me to the realization that radio cannot compete with modern tec and the internet anymore...I can see now that as the generation of those that loved cb radio pass away, it will pass into history also...What is left of cb radio is now an introverted closed net!! It has been many years since I last heard anyone call for a copy on 14....Can cb radio have a future? I don't see it with the current legal specs....Maybe it could if repeaters were available? or with sat communication which would make the world a smaller place.....imagine having good buddies around the world...Haha, but that ain't gonna happen! A negative view for the new year on my part I know...On the plus side our am midband net here in Cornwall still survives. And the willingness to help each other with antenna or radio problems should they arise. :)

neboo24
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 pm

I know what you mean. I was hugely into CB radio as a teenager and there was a very larger number of people in the area I live on every night of the week. I move house in my early 20s and could not erect a large antenna where I lived. Now in my 30s and got an 18ft silver rod on my house, dug out the old rigs and no-one. I get the odd farmer now and again but that's it. There used to be a huge net on CH36 and now you call on CH14, CH19 or CH36 and no-one ever answers. I do miss being able to pick up the mic and shout "hey, there!" and get an almost immediate reply.

Asterix
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm afraid I agree with you, there's not an awful lot of cb,ers out there now, I'm not sure the younger generation know it exists even ? It needs to be promoted and advertised on things like TV and radio on all the benefits it has, ie free, instant communication, road conditions etc , that would be fantastic :D but unlikely :cry:

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:31 am

I also think the demise of local cb radio suppliers hasn't helped either....I used to pop into our local one for a chat and a look see what was new to the scene...The good suppliers were often radios hams who gave advice on setting up stations, our local would even erect antennas or install into a car if ask....Our local cb shop was a place to socialize also! There are generations of younger folk out there who no nothing of cb radio. So I guess lack of advertising of the hobby is a major problem also...Prior to the legalization of am/ssb I used to argue for its use thinking it would give a boost to the hobby, but it hasn't....I wish now it was still illegal..It added a bit of spice to the hobby!!....I still remember my first radio, it was a commtron straight forty am, which I spent my time constantly polishing....I guess like the yoyo and hula hoop it was just a passing phase never to be repeated....At least I was there to experience the fun and excitement of cb like outrunning buzby and the police.....and the girls I met at eyeballs!! :D :D

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:56 pm

i used to love a cb radio shop in burslem. called cb city. i liked to look around when i was visiting my gran back in the 80s :)

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:43 pm

I think the only progression left for cb radio now is to have a decent VHF or UHF service to run alongside 11 metres....This has been raised on this forum many times over the years. The current 446 does not meet the needs of CB radio, not that it was ever intended to do so. So a new service with decent mobile and Homebase radios would be a welcome addition to the hobby. As a ps to those Brexiteers who blame the EU for the failings of the UK government, do remember it was the EU that gave us am/ ssb. :(

ES-29
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:34 am

I can see your point in many ways. In the 80s I remember a mate having a CB in his Vauxhall Chevette. God forbid if you touched it, having a CB in my truck, I did a return journey from Essex to Yorkshire had the Rig on scan for over an hour. Nothing heard, tried C14, C19 nothing. Use it now mainly for 4x4 response work, charity support etc.

26CT1994
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
CB Handle: Jet Set Willy

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:48 pm

There are still people out there and often I find it busier at the weekends and most definately busier in the summer.

I hope the following info regarding CB Radio Nets in the UK is useful to those looking for a bit more radio traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Gr2e5k3is&t=6s
Posting Daily on All Social Networks
Posting Weekly on https://www.youtube.com/c/26ct1994
Blogging at: http://thebreakersyard.com