One step closer to a European wide FM/AM/SSB CEPT CB band

General Chat - one nine for a roger!
Adriano9966
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

:D In case anyone has missed it the net is now buzzing with the news that ofcom WILL impliment this sometime next year
so rather than just speculation there is now a definative answer from the regulator
:) it will mean waiting a bit longer but the good news is we WILL get it =D> yay
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Yeah,tiz all good...but to have to wait till this time next year aint so good... :(
G8UUG
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Hi I have just read various posts, with regards the EEC granting AM/FM/SSB CB. I suspect legal CB radios will be locked down, i.e. only the permitted channels, and power. I have seen a fairly cheap radio The Anytone AT 5555, aimed at the Ham market, however, its origins are CB, see http://highfields-arc.co.uk/reviews/at5555.htm at £149.95 not a bad price, however, even if only programmed for the new CERT CB frequencies, I guess not legal to use for CB, as it 12 Watts FM and 21 Watts PEP. I am not sure if the RF output can be turned down?

I do have some sympathy, with the Home office in 1981, when 4 watts 27MHz FM was legalised, as radio/TV/ and 1970’s Hi Fis’ was “wide open” i.e. would probably receive all things R.F especially AM and SSB. Today’s equipment is far more robust, as RF susceptibility test have to be carried out before a CE accreditation can be obtained and the CE mark placed on the item.

The Sunspots are on the up as the current solar cycle climbs, and I can work the New York Repeater on 29 MHz, most days on 4 Watts or less, so SSB CB has arrived at the right time for world wide coverage, assuming other regions take the EEC’s lead. Anyway I look forward to working more stations on HF SSB CB or HAM and I sure it will not be long before it is granted in the UK. PS the Ham foundation licence allows 10W all modes, on all HAM bands, from 1.8 MHZ to 430MHz, and any CBer, worth his salt, could easily pass the exam!

BR
:D
Morat
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

I'm going to get one of those anytone-5555 as soon as possible, they look great value and I've read nothing but good news since version 3.1 shipped. They attract some sneering from HAMs with more expensive kit but honestly I think they should be taking advantage of good cheap kit to make HAM more accessible. Any hobby that disappears up its own arse... disappears.
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Guzzy

G8UUG wrote:PS the Ham foundation licence allows 10W all modes, on all HAM bands, from 1.8 MHZ to 430MHz, and any CBer, worth his salt, could easily pass the exam!

BR
:D
There's nothing wrong with getting a ham radio licence, many of us already have. However, there will always be a need (desire?) for an unlicensed (no tests/exams/permits required) radio service. Not everyone wants to know how to build/repair/tinker with the radio equipment they are using. Some people just want a piece of technology to do what it says on the tin with no technical knowledge required.

CB radio provides a useful local two way radio service. You don't need to "upgrade" to anything.
Mad Mick
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at these AT5555's V6 myself. Which one would be the best? Some are cheaper, but come pre programmed to a couple of options and no USB lead. The more expensive ones are complete with the lead, but you have to program it yourself.

Which would be the best way?

Cheers All!
MAD MICK
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

It all depends on what frequencies you want!!...If you are happy with just UKFM....EU/mids which will cover the legal AM/SSB modes...and the Freeband frequencies around 27.555,then settle for the one that is comes already programmed :D :D :D