One step closer to a European wide FM/AM/SSB CEPT CB band

General Chat - one nine for a roger!
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

what other transceivers are there that will comply with the new cept?...the jackson seems an awful lot of money for what they are...and the reviews on them dont seem to amount to much...finals blowing etc...are they that bad?...the optima although not cept legal...still seems to me a good buy!!..but if i could find a good rig doc to check out my nato i would probably continue to run with that....but where are they....
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Guzzy

I can't name any that are proper 'CB's'. The 11m SSB market has been catered to by what we warmly refer to as "10m transceivers". :lol:

The only legal FM/AM/SSB CB is the President Jackson II.

I'd hang on to your cheque book for a while though, we are bound to see a whole host of new FM/AM/SSB radios appearing on the market.

I should imagine that the Anytone AT-5555 (K-PO DX5000) could very easily be programmed by the manufacturer to appear as a market legal FM/AM/SSB CB. I fully expect to see a 'new' version of that radio for sale as a "CB" soon.
Adriano9966
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

:D Don't lose heart even the most humble of modern cb s will do at least 4 watts on AM on the Spanish or Italian setting.

There is a new AM/FM/SSB transceiver on sale in Italy called the Jopix Itaca I would not be at all surprised if an 80 channel version comes onto the UK market if/when the new C.E.P.T is adopted here
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Hey, good news! :D

I've found another one!

The Albrecht AE5800

PDF of AE-5800 Manual

It meets the EN 300 433-2 requirement. :D
Adriano9966
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

needle bender wrote:The jackson seems an awful lot of money for what they are...and the reviews on them don't seem to amount to much...finals blowing etc...are they that bad?
:? I don't know which reviews you have been reading there is no problem with mine.

I have read people claiming on a couple of other forums that the modulation is on the quiet side but that's easily rectified with a base mic or a hand held power mic.

Besides this I have never had any complaints about the modulation from mine which I sometimes use mobile from Normandy to talk back into the UK.

:) The only base antenna I have for cb due to space is an inverted v loft dipole and my Jacko cant be that bad because I had a chat with Germany the other week from home.

I suspect the finals blowing is probably due to some people 'tweaking' the power up to the limit

:) I agree that its expensive and we will need cheaper alternatives for the new cept if its legalised here

The thing I like about this transceiver is the fact it looks and feels familiar in a sort of nostalgic way it very much reminds me of transceivers like nato/colt/tristar/ham international

my biggest criticism is that darn bleeping noise whilst changing channels :? :? :? it drives me around the bend,I wish it was switchable
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

yeah,i like the look of the albrecht 5800,,,looks promising...certainly a big price difference between transcievers on sale in europe and in the uk,,it will go on my short list along with the optima...i really dont go anything on the jackson11...the price tag being the main put off...should they bring out a 111version 4 and 12 watt..i might show some interest...there again its down to price...why pay nearly £300 when there are some good so called 10 metre radios around for £200!!!..almost seems like we are having to pay a premium to operate legally...and please no more ifs regarding am/ssb on cept for the uk....it when!!!!!.. :D
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Hey adriano,,looked up the jopix itaco...looks a promising transciever...another so called 10 metre radio...and a lot cheaper than the jackson i bet...as ive said before i think the price of legal cept multimodes will sky rocket!!!...the 10 metre transciever is the way to go..shame really :(
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Got an official reply from Ofcom today:
Dear Mr Guzzy,

Thank you for your email to Ofcom, about the ECC decision on CB radio apparatus. This Decision sought, inter alia, to harmonise the use of AM/SSB apparatus across member states and referred to a new standard, ETSI EN 300 433.

As you may know, the use of CB radio apparatus is authorised in the UK by exemption regulations*. These regulations set out the conditions, including technical conditions, with which users must comply, including a requirement that the use of CB radio comply with UK Interface Requirement IR 2027**. This IR, in turn, refers to standards ETSI 300 135-1 and ETSI EN 300 135-2. Until we have made any necessary amendments to IR 2027 to reflect the ECC Decision, for example to reflect ETSI EN 300 433, AM/SSB apparatus may not be used lawfully in the UK. However, we shall address this when we are able and when other priorities permit.

I hope that this is helpful.

* See Schedule 10 of the Wireless Telegraphy (Exemption) (Amendment) Regulations 2006, available at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006 ... tents/made

** See http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binari ... uk2027.pdf

Kind Regards,

:: Jigisha Panchal

Licensing Officer

SE&E Spectrum Licensing

0300 123 1000

Spectrum.LicensingEnquiries@ofcom.org.uk

:: Ofcom

Riverside House

2a Southwark Bridge Road

London SE1 9HA

http://www.ofcom.org.uk
Nothing new to be honest, but it does seem to indicate that any delay will all be about making changes to the IR 2027 document.

I reckon if they haven't made the changes by 1st October 2011, we should start a campaign of writing physical letters to them requesting they got on with it. Nearly 90% of all communications are done by email these days. If we got a few hundred people to write letters and post them to Ofcom requiring a written and posted response, they should soon realise that it's easier to get on with it than put it off.

:D
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Well,thats a typical bureaucratic response from ofcom...but it does imply that given time they will implement the necessary changes...so its all good so far!!!...yeah we can give them till october...or until am/ssb is in use in europe...i think though that the whole of the eu will have a launch day...i cant see that ofcom will be allowed to dither on this...but we will see...if they do dither then we can bombard them as you say....i just hope everyone up and down the country are in the frame of mind to do this.... :D :D :D
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

I was thinking now that all mode operation on cept is imminent in theory there is no reason why it shouldn't be allowed on the uk frequencies....maybe a bridge to far?? also i have heard on the grapevine that american cber's are after fm...maybe a case of them wanting the same cept specification...its all good!!! :D
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

well,it aint gonna happen this october.....
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Anybody know if the new am/ssb standard will come into being in mainland europe this october???
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

needle bender wrote:Anybody know if the new am/ssb standard will come into being in mainland europe this october???
I think you need to develop your patience. :lol:

We wont know anything until after the 1st of October, and even then it wont be a hurried flurry of information. It will appear slowly as and when the regulatory authorities respond.

Check here: http://www.erodocdb.dk/doks/doccategory ... doccatid=1

Once they have any info, there will be a 'status' page with 'implementation' data for each of the administrations.

... and keep an ear to the European CB websites, they are MUCH more actively involved in the whole process.
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

thanks for info guz....Patience !!!...hell bin that for 30 years...cant wait for the day when i dont have to be looking over my shoulder anymore!!!....am cb is thriving here in my neck of the woods...we had a good net up and running the other night...so join the club guz and throw them old uk rigs in the bin where they belong!!!..the future is cept/mids.... :D :D :D ....na,,i dont really mean that...there is of course a place for uk fm also...just gotta claim it back from the scum who inhabit the band..its a tough proposition...calling for tough action...whats needed are mobile chopper brigades :evil: ..unless someone has better ideas... :D
Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Peas and lurve man. *lurve*