General Chat - one nine for a roger!

Moderator: stampman

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Bionic Budgie

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:36 am

Hi Folks....

Well..days and days (or should that be months and months) of Olga jamming up 11 mtrs..noise, noise and more noise.. seems everybody round here are migrating onto 446 to carry on chatting. They are buying Co-linear base antennae, modding walkie talkies to accept external aerials..the group is growing fast. More and more of the cb net are leaving the 27mhz radio off and installing 446 gear. Channel 8 seems to be the channel to listen to. If I had a little of Alan Sugar in me (that sound,s a bit rude..sorry)..I would be going on Dragons Den looking for investment to make a 446 mobile radios similar to a cb... Maybe this could be an opportunity for a British company to sell some radios (Andy??) With the muck on 11 mtrs looking like its gonna get worse not better..is 446 the future of CB Radio (Freeband) in this country.

I apoligised to Needle Bender in advance :D

All The Best for 2012..

Bionic Budgie
Diss 20
EX channel 28 UK CB..now Channel 8 Freeband.
My Only Worry Is That When I Die..My Wife Will Sell My Radio Gear For What I Told Her I'd Paid For It!

Adriano9966
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:51 pm

:D Happy new year to everyone and yes I have to agree albeit with 500mw and 8 channels pmr 446 would be perfect for UHF cb.It would not be too difficult to modify the rules to allow external antennas and the availability of cheap 2m/70cms colinears would make this even more viable in my modest opinion. Its all down to ofcom we should first build up a base of users and then lobby for external antennas on the service

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Ofcom have changed the rules already...you can now use external antennas as long as the ERP is 500mw. Bring on the mobile rigs.... :lol:
My Only Worry Is That When I Die..My Wife Will Sell My Radio Gear For What I Told Her I'd Paid For It!

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:24 pm

Hey budgie,,,Bledyn noweth da....(happy new year)....give us a shout when mobile 446 5 watt transcievers come on the market along with antennas and mounts..until such time 446 is ok for noddy and big ears and the rest of toyland's folks...from my patch here in the far southwest i can do plymouth (60 miles) devon and parts of somerset...south wales,and south of ireland...all at 4 watts on good days...with 446 no chance...yeah olga and co are a pain at times...but cept am mode continues to rule in this part of the world....stay cool... :D :D

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 am

Hope 2012 is a good one for you Needle Bender.

I agree, 446 is not ideal with all the users..round here in South Norfolk/North Suffolk the 8 channels are very busy during the day..companys etc..I had to laugh the other day.. seems some kids had got some 446 WT for xmas and were playing a hide n seek game with there dad..all on channel 1..on the same channel was a shoot .. it was so funny..' hello dave..start moving forward' 'i,m in the church yard' 'WHAT!! whos in the church yard??? STOP!! EVERYBODY STOP! Whos in the Church yard??' 'Can you here me ?' 'Yes I can hear you..is that you dave? why are you in the church yard?' ' I,m now moving down the lane' ' What?? What bloody lane? Are you on the road side of the wood??' All this time the kids were warbleing and shouting to each other to try and find dad in the churchyard..it was the funniest thing I,ve heard for a long time...BUT..thats the problem with 446 too many users.. I was chatting to my mate the other evening on 8 and this woman comes on with her hubby stating that they had been using 8 for 2 years and it was their channel..I politely replied that no one owns a channel..it was open to anyone and as such..asking us to keep it clear on the off chance that her hubby wanted to call her was not an option. She was amazed that we could hear her..I think most non tech folks using these handhelds think they are like mobile phones and secure..their own private channel.. As I say..not ideal. In a perfect world 27 would be free of Olga and noise from plasma, plt etc etc but it ain,t. Another answer it to get the cornflake packet ham licence, but I can appreciate why folks don,t want to do this.

Looking ahead the the bloody games in London (HOW **cking much is it costing????) I can see 446 become jammed up.. you have, however got another 8 channels further up if you have the right radio :D

All The Best For 2012

Budgie
PS..the day after the Hide N Seek/Shoot..I see the kids had moved to channel 2 and the shoot had moved to 3.seems they all went home and read the instructions manuals!!!

Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Guzzy

Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Bionic Budgie wrote:Ofcom have changed the rules already...you can now use external antennas as long as the ERP is 500mw. Bring on the mobile rigs.... :lol:
Getting an external mobile or base antenna to only emit 500mW could be a challenge. The reason most PMR446 radios have titchy tiny stubby antennas is to keep the power down!

Just replacing the stock antenna on a PMR446 radio will normally increase its power output beyond 500mW.

Of course from an observers point of view; 0.5W or 5W, it's very difficult to tell the difference. Is it a nearby station running 0.5W or is it a station further away running 5W that you can hear? :wink:

Operating mobile, it's not an issue, but running 5W into a chimney top mounted homebase antenna with 7dB+ gain at 446MHz with long drawn out conversations, that could very easily draw unwanted (DF'd) attention.
Last edited by Guzzy on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:13 pm

all this chat about 446 becoming the new citizen band aint gonna happen... 5 or 10 watt mobiles aint gonna come about...an increase in channels aint gonna happen either...uhf 446 is as it is,,,and nothing more...we aint gonna get no uhf given to us for cb use....as it has been pointed out on occasions a ham ticket will give you your vhf/uhf radio,so why fuss over it....as ive said before deregulating 2 metres is the answer...after all the dedicated hams use hf..and the boffin types are playing with super high or super low frequencies....olga and her mates wont be around forever...and dont forget 2012 is the year of all mode on 11 metres... :P

Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:25 pm

People have been using these 16 channels as an improvised UHF CB system for a few years now.
Illegal UHF CB Channel and Frequency (6.25kHz tuning steps)
UHF CB Chan. 01 .... 446.00625 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 02 .... 446.01875 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 03 .... 446.03125 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 04 .... 446.04375 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 05 .... 446.05625 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 06 .... 446.06875 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 07 .... 446.08125 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 08 .... 446.09375 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 09 .... 446.10625 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 10 .... 446.11875 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 11 .... 446.13125 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 12 .... 446.14375 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 13 .... 446.15625 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 14 .... 446.16875 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 15 .... 446.18125 MHz Narrow FM
UHF CB Chan. 16 .... 446.19375 MHz Narrow FM

The red channels are the naughty channels, because technically, they should only be used in Digital PMR446 mode, NOT analogue. Just so you know... [-X
All you need is one of those cheap as chips Chinese 5W UHF handies and away you go...

There is even at least one 50W UHF mobile (the Anytone AT-588 UHF).

Illegal of course, but so is using a power amplifier on a CB, or opening a CB radio up for extra channels, or tweaking a CB for extra power, or ....
Last edited by Guzzy on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adriano9966
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:58 pm

:D I did not realise that external antennas are allowed now ....This is very good news but as Guzzy points out acheiving an erp of 500mw is the tricky bit.I suppose the answer would be an antenna that gives you unity gain such as a small dipole or a tiny quarter wave gp

:D I think with such an antenna that It would not be possible to exceed an erp of 500mw also because of the feeder losses on uhf

[-X Anyway I dont agree pmr 446 certainly sounds like UHF citizens band to me especially if external antennas are allowed ! Just add one speaker mic and use the radio sat on its stand for homebase use...

Why would I need uhf cb if I have a ham licence???Because its FUN I curse the day 934 was taken away from citizens

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:18 am

Why all this silliness over 446...be it a cheap argos radio or a so called top of range costing £100 they are crap!!!....who wants to spend money on antennas and suchlike just for a toy...if you want to mod a cheap 446 just remove the existing antenna, mount it in an old yogart pot connect it all up with a lenght of old tv coax stick it on a pole and away you go....ok for local comms....but at the end of the day if cber's adopt 446 they will be even more isolated from others....are we looking to inprove cb radio or downgrade it.....hell if ya want to downgrade even further....try two tin cans and a lenght of string...they work very well for local comms...yes like adriano i spit blood when 934 is mentioned, stolen away from us...ofcom said it was underused...that was a downright lie... :evil:

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:37 am

Calm down NB!!! I knew this thread would stir you up. 27 will continue..but 446 can be use instead when interference is bad on 11mtrs. Some guys around here are buying uhf ham rigs and opening the tx. antenna wise..Co-Linear (homebrew) are the norm, some are buying from cb shops a Sirio base antenna offered as a 446 base antenna. Some are adding beams (8 ele) bought cheap off Flea Bay. range wise..about 20 miles..same as CB on an average day. Bonus that there is no noise from plasmas etc and bloody Olga.

Cheers
Budgie

Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Some people actually want CB radio for "local communication", go figure. :lol:

Dragonfly
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:20 pm

With 5w and an external antenna it wont be long before Olga fits a Linear amplifier and fills all PMR 446 channels with russian taxi controllers .

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Olga can run 10,000 watts on 446..still be unlikely to hear her..UHF, unlike 27mhz (HF) is not reflected, true there are lift conditions (like ducting) but in the 25 years I,ve been on UHF, never heard/worked further than France, and that was only once. Put it this way..if CB was being sorted today for the first time..the powers to be would,nt even look at any frequency below 50 meg, look at Australia..UHF all the way..its ideal for what CB was meant for..short range communications of up to 15/20 miles. When CB was bought into the UK back in the late 70s/80s, UHF gear was very expensive to produce and CB was all on 27mhz throughout the world..but that was 30 years ago..tech has moved on.... knowing what little I know now (having held a Ham Licence for 15 years) UHF is the PERFECT choice for good quailty, reliable, local comms. Gear is cheap to produce as well now...anyway..only time will tell, but looking around here, I can see what direction folks are going and it aint 27.

All The Best.

Bionic Budgie
Diss 20
aka G0YAP

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:43 pm

hang on..hang on....i am not anti uhf at all...i was using 934 alongside 11 metres years ago...me and my mate still dig out our transcievers now and again...what i am against is this flag waving for a kids toy!!!!...folks who think 446 uhf is the future...folks who read radio reviews and youtube garbage by experts paid by manufactorers to sing the praises of their products....who hasn't heard of those 50 mile or more copies to be had from hilltops using a bog standard 446 radio...who of you have managed these super copies....none, because its a load of bull****....and whats this local comms mean??..what a stupid thing to spout about...most of my cb buddies are within 5 or six miles of me...do you think i dont value a copy with someone unless they are the other side of the world!!!...I will talk with anyone who can hear me,be they down the road or the far side of the moon....thats what cb radio is about...if you hams dont like 11 metres...be it local comms or dx...then stay with your vhf/uhf radios its quite simple... if ya wanna talk theory do it on the ham bands...let cb radio be what its meant to be good fun :D