Ofcom - ECC Decision on AM SSB CB apparatus

General Chat - one nine for a roger!
M5AKA
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

In June 2011 the ECC published a Decision harmonizing CB radio across the European Union but until now Ofcom have dragged their heels in implementing it.

It appears that Ofcom intend to drag out implementation further but their statement says the ECC Decision should probably be implemented by the end of 2013.

In the late 1970's many radio amateurs such as James Bryant G4CLF, President (UK) Citizens' Band Association, campaigned for the legalization of AM/SSB CB, now some 35 years later it looks as though it will finally be achieved.

Read the Ofcom statement at
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/spectr ... -decision/

Read the ECC Decision ECC/DEC/(11)03 - The harmonised use of frequencies for Citizens’ Band (CB) radio equipment
http://www.erodocdb.dk/Docs/doc98/offic ... EC1103.PDF

European Union gets 27 MHz SSB CB
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/july20 ... hz_ssb.htm

Trevor
Amateur Radio Training: http://www.rsgb.org/clubsandtraining/
----
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Hi M5AKA...Thanks for the update info..am/ssb better late than never... :D
FISH
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Just waiting on the mod to pass it now
26 TANGO MIKE 501
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

AM, FM, SSB, USB, would be better as there are still am radios around & most users use FM, & SSB, USB, to jump on the sideband but a quick food for thought if sideband comes legal would that mean idiots who play music on 19 ::-() are going to start on 28.600 [-X or have most of them stopped been cb radio DJ`s :shock: but yes it would be good if they bring it all legal & with it only us in the united kindom who is unable to use sideband legally sucks but the only thing we all can do is just wait & see what happens,

but great info thanks for keeping us posted M5AKA buddy.
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Hi wildfire,why wait for allmode ops on 11metres to be legal??...as long as you are sensible in using am/ssb you will not encounter any problems!!...If you are going to use am/ssb in the middle of a housing estate,with a big antenna and 200 watt's,you may well run into trouble.As for me ,i have always had a preference for am mode,a much better option for cb in my opinion,and here in my hometown we have a healthy am net running...ssb on the T5 is as popular as ever,but does have it's share of idiots...my preference for DX is the usa,both am/ssb...and have made many contacts over the years,but the magical 4 watt copy still eludes me though...As for the 10 metre band,stay well away from the tx side,unless you go for your ticket...T5 CT672 :D
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

hi needle bender,

you know something buddy your right why wait for ssb to come legal after all it is only our government & OFCOM / ECC who are the ones who are not happy with us having ssb radios in the uk & why while everybody else around the world are happy with people using ssb radios is it bcos they are unhappy with us speaking to people across the pond each way it is bcos they think we are unable to make friends with other stations across the pond makes me think we are in quarantine to speak to people across the pond :shock:

but here is something else i have found,

ECC Decision on AM SSB CB apparatus
In June 2011, the ECC (-1-) published a Decision (-2-) about harmonising CB across Europe. While the UK had reservations, we did not actively oppose this Decision, as it enjoyed consensus amongst most CEPT member states. Unlike Decisions of the European Commission or Parliament, CEPT Decisions are not binding and not all countries will be implementing this Decision. So, although we are not obliged to implement this Decision, we nonetheless plan to do so, subject to the agreement of the Ministry of Defence (MOD).
The spectrum used by CB is allocated primarily to the MOD in the UK. So, we must consult the MOD, to ensure that any proposed change in use to spectrum which is primarily for its use is acceptable. If the MOD agrees, we anticipate that the ECC Decision should probably be implemented by the end of 2013.
Implementing a Decision such as this is not a straightforward process. We must make changes to legislation and to the Interface Requirement (IR 2027). IR 2027 sets out the conditions with which the use of CB apparatus must comply. Before changing legislation we must conduct a public consultation. Before we change the IR, we must submit the proposed changes to the European Commission, to allow other EU Member States to comment on it.
Until all of the changes described above have been made, it will remain an offence to install or use AM/SSB (or any other) CB apparatus other than in accordance with the current exemption regulations and IR. So, it will remain an offence to install or use AM SSB apparatus or to use multimode equipment in AM mode. It is also an offence to possess or have under ones control any radio apparatus, with the intention of using it in a manner that isnt covered by a licence or exemption regulations. This means that, until any changes are implemented, it remains unlawful to install or use AM/SSB CB apparatus or have it available for use as described above.
We shall publish updates on this website.
FAQs
Why is it taking so long to implement these changes?
We are bound by European legislation. This says that if we want to propose changes to an Interface Requirement, we must first submit these proposed changes to the European Commission for scrutiny by other Member States. We must also amend UK legislation to reflect these changes. The UK law under which we work says that we must consult before we can do that. In the UK, the spectrum used by CB radio is allocated to the MOD. So, we must get their agreement before we change the way that their spectrum is used. All of this takes time.
Why all the fuss? Its only hobby radio!
We must ensure that all uses of radio can coexist, minimising the risk of interference. If CB suddenly starts using SSB, AM and more power, we must ensure that this does not harm other users. The quid pro quo for licence exemption is that CB is unprotected and must not cause interference to others. This is particularly important, as CB uses MOD spectrum.
Is it illegal to own AM/SSB CB kit?
You may be committing an offence if it could be shown that you have and intend to use AM-only equipment or the AM/SSB element of multimode equipment before we change the legislation and the IR.
Will I be prosecuted for selling AM/SSB CB equipment?
It is not an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 (and associated legislation) to sell radio apparatus that is properly CE marked and that thus conforms to the essential requirements of the Radio & Telecommunications terminal Equipment Directive, which is the principal European Directive that covers the supply of radio apparatus, generally. However, if you were to sell any radio apparatus knowing that someone was going to use it illegally, a court may hold that you had committed an offence.
I am a licensed radio amateur. Can I use AM CB equipment?
The bands authorised for use by CB are 26.965 to 27.405 MHz and 27.60125 to 27.99125 MHz. These are not covered by the amateur radio licence.
I got some AM/SSB kit off a bloke in the pub/eBay/mail order. Is it legal?
Equipment designed for use, for example, in the USA may well not conform to European requirements. Such equipment may not be used, even after the changes have been implemented. Any apparatus placed on the European market must bear the CE mark of conformity. We have published further information about the use of the CE mark and the associated Directive on our website at http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/spectr ... e/rtte_faq.
How do I know if my CB kit can be used in the UK?
It is your responsibility to understand the radio equipment that you are using and to use it correctly and within the law. If you are unsure if your equipment can be used legally, you should ask a dealer what type of equipment it is and take such other expert advice as you may need.
If a foreign lorry driver brings AM/SSB equipment into the UK, can he use it here lawfully?
No. Not until the changes have been implemented. Even then, he must comply with the UK law as it stands at that time.
Footnotes:
1.-http://www.cept.org/ecc
2.- Decision ECC 11(03) The harmonised use of frequencies for Citizens Band (CB) radio equipmenthttp://www.erodocdb.dk/docs/doc98/official/pdf/ECCDec1103.pdf
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Hi Wildfire,yeah,all that ofcom bumf has been doing the rounds for ages...There is no rushing them guys,no money to be made from cb radio that's why...Mobile phone and commercial radio,and they listen..As for the military having interest in the 27 mhz band, what?? Perhaps they intend using Sherman tanks again!..As i said, many cb'ers DX 27.555 USB,also try your luck DXing the USA on LSB EU/mids, getting busted is unheard of these days...Go mobile,and you are 100% ok... :D
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

well needle bender to be blunt with you buddy i have always sat on & listening on & off the ssb / lsb frequencys ever since the mid 90s with my colt 1200 dx & other than that why should we abide by the laws specialty even the government & the law breaks the law even if we are just breaking the law minor,

it is good to show other people across the pond that we can behave behind a microphone & communicate with everybody across Europe & parts of america :)

& here is another thought for you all if SSB & LSB come legal how many knew that you need a ham radio licence to use SSB & LSB as these frequency's fall under ham radio frequencys.
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Hi Wildfire,didn't quite understand your last post..You will not need a ham licence to use SSB mode on the eu/midband,which is intended for its legal use,and is part of the 11 metre(27mhz)band...If you mean the 10 metre(28mhz)band,then yes,you will have to have a ham ticket!...As for the world wide so called freeband centred on 27.555 USB that will still remain illegal..I spend a lot of my time on there during the summer months,and generally those that use it are very disciplined...as for the UK fm band,I dont use it very much.. :)
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

you know something needle bender buddy to hell with the law if equipment was going to be illegal i am sure it will be taken away as soon as the border control gets hold of it & how many of us really pays attention to the law not many i don`t think as people was using freeband since if first hit our shores
lone-ranger
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Hi guys I only been useing cb for the last 5 years and don't have much experience with AM I'd say I'm still leaning my self about cb radio I must have tryed and bought 10 antennas trying to get it right! But do you think if they legalise the am band will many people will switch back to am? And will they stay selling am sets? Or mane design ones that can operate uk and the am band that people will use in the UK? :)
wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

hi lone ranger,

all radios what comes with SSB & LSB comes with am & fm & with us already having FM legal & if it all goes forward then no doud`t they will legalize am or they should do anyway as AM already comes with the radios so people will have a choice if they want to use the normal fm radios or the side band radios & with it only the UK who is not legalized to use side band radios just makes us feel like we are in quarantine as we are unable to communicate to the rest of most of the world via radios.
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Hi lone ranger,if and when am/ssb is to be made legal in the uk it will be on the eu/mid frequencies,not the uk fm band So i'm not sure what your concern is?..you will still be able to use uk fm...
lone-ranger
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Hi needle bender thanks for your reply. I'm not to clued up on all the different bands and frequencys I'm quite new to cb and I'm not old enough to have enjoyed the fun that most people had in the 70's and early 80's when everybody was useing the am radios but I think you have answered my question I have a midland 48 plus wich has the EU FM/AM band so I'm assuming that 1 wat am eu band is what people will change over to. I thought maybe you would have to use imported american rigs or something to use the am band. But I think you have cleared that up for me. Thanks mate. :)
needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Hi Lone ranger,dont confuse modes of operation with frequencies.the uk frequencies run from 27.60125 to 27.99125.the only legal mode you can use is FM..If,and when AM/SSB is made legal,it will be on the EU band,also known among older cb'ers as midband..which are the original USA cb radio frequencies known as FCC..These frequencies run from 26.9650 to 27.4050,..Outside of these legal bands are those known as freeband frequencies,which are illegal.But many cb'ers use them,the calling channel is 27.555,and the mode used is ssb,upper side band..but you will need a multiband radio for this..You can try listening for the American cb'ers on the EU band,but select AM mode,this is what they use,Try channel 6 for starters..But skip conditions need to be good..Here is a little tip for you. On your midland when using EU/mids on AM mode, select the spanish band for the full 4 watts,otherwise you will only get 1 watt. :D