General Chat - one nine for a roger!

Moderator: stampman

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:14 pm

hi all,

ok i know that there are people who are not sure how high there antenna should go Legally but i did manage to stumble across the following,

Part 95 - Subpart D - Rules for CB Service
Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service

{A} "Antenna" means the radiating system (for transmitting, receiving or both) and the structure holding it up (tower, pole or mast). It also means everything else attached to the radiating system and the structure.

{B} If your antenna is mounted on a hand-held portable unit, none of the following limitations apply;

{C} If your antenna is installed at a fixed location (whether receiving, transmitting or both) it must comply with EITHER one of the following:

[1] The highest point must not be more than 20 feet (6.10 meters) higher than the highest point of the building or tree on which it is mounted or

[2] The highest point must not be more than 60 feet (18.3 meters) above the ground.

{D} If your CB station is located near an airport, and if your antenna structure is more than 20 feet (6.10 meters) high,
you may have to obey additional restrictions. The highest point of your antenna must not exceed 39.37 inches
(1 meter) above the airport elevation for every 109.36 yards (100 meters, 1 hectometer) of distance from the nearest point of the nearest airport runway. Differences in ground elevation between your antenna and the airport runway may complicate this formula. If your CB station is near an airport, you may contact the nearest FCC field office for a worksheet to help you figure the maximum allowable height for your antenna

andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 am

Hi Wildfire,

That is good information, thanks for sharing :D

I have made it a sticky now...

Andy :wink:

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:48 pm

you live and learn thought the limit was just before you ran out of ladder rungs

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 pm

your very welcome Andy buddy as i found it is best to watch each others back & try & help each other even if it means to help each other to stay withing the laws :)

lol stampman now i know why council officers don`t want peoples antennas up so high but there again i am not sure how high Councils from different county's will let users have there antennas :roll:

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 pm

old school stick it up and see who complains they are generally a seven day wonder so very few people complain as they never look above 10 ft off the ground

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:05 pm

sounds tempting to stick a Sirio Vector 4000 the old Avanti Sigma IV on to a 5 foot aluminium pole on to the top side of the house :shock: :D :shock: lol & if they ask me to take it down last resort would be bolting it to the washing line post :shock:

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:23 am

no stick on chimney any on asks tell them your watching digital tv from france

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 pm

that would be hard if you don`t have a chimney plus i think a Sirio Vector would rip the chimney apart with its weight but would be interesting to watch it on a chimney lol

cdaw
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:34 pm

According to Google Earth, the nearest runway to me is at an alt of 25m and my place an alt of 26m and I'm 2.06 miles due north of runway Heathrow's runway 09R. Would this affect me? No planes fly low enough around this area and are usually going around my location.
Amateur call sign: M6UCW
Uniden USC230 , Baofeng UV-5R , Yaesu FT-7900 , Icom IC-207H , CS700
Find me on GB3AL, GB3HR & GB7NS (DMR) and scanning many others
Also scanning VHF, UHF & DMR simplex frequencies

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:18 am

at 2.06 miles from the runway if they take off towards you they will probably be at about 2000 ft when they go over head so no problem

Black Tango
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Hello, I'm newly registered on the forum, but I read this thread a few weeks back.
Are there any specific UK antenna guidelines, as the information quoted is from the USA FCC site? My enquiries with OFCOM have taken me in circles, with no one actually able to confirm what the UK regs are. #-o
Thanks
Andy
andy@thunderpole.co.uk wrote:Hi Wildfire,

Woolyhat
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Black Tango wrote:Hello, I'm newly registered on the forum, but I read this thread a few weeks back.
Are there any specific UK antenna guidelines, as the information quoted is from the USA FCC site? My enquiries with OFCOM have taken me in circles, with no one actually able to confirm what the UK regs are. #-o
Thanks
Andy
andy@thunderpole.co.uk wrote:Hi Wildfire,

As someone whom has travelled around the country (UK) over the years, I can tell you that there are lots of rules, in lots of places, all differing.
Generally though, the tip of your antenna should not poke any higher than 6ft above the ridge line of your roof. So it's best if you use TK brackets, on the back of your house, secured with some 1/4" or 6mm Rawlbolts. There are many places to get drawings, on how to make TK brackets and some places sell them, ready made. I made my own, from 50x50x6mm angle iron, that I reclaimed from a scrap yard.
Hope this helps...

Woolyhat ...

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu May 01, 2014 9:42 am

IN THE uk it is rare that the council will interfere with siteing antenna unless there is a complaint from a neighbor so if you get on with yours then i cant forsee a problem

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed May 14, 2014 11:19 pm

somebody some where will always get a grumpy old git complaining about a tall antenna stuck up in the air when they should be sitting in doors watching there favorite tv shows or listening to radio 2 well that's me had my moan i feel more relaxed now :D

Billy the Kid
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:54 pm

I live about a mile from the end of Exeter airports main runway, my Ariel is around 25ft above my roof....3years ago I had a visit from the local council telling me to remove my Ariel, despite it being there for over 10 years.
My hatred of authority is legendary among people who know me and the official was told in no uncertain terms, where he could go and what would happen if I am visited again.....my Ariel is still in place. BTK