Poll - New AM Calling Channel

General Chat - one nine for a roger!

Moderator: stampman

What channel would you like to use as a UK AM calling channel?

14 (27.125Mhz)
62%
19 (27.185Mhz)
38%
NONE
No votes

Total votes: 50
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:41 am

AM and SSB modes are expected to become legal in the UK on the CEPT (Mid) Band in the spring of 2014 =D> For the first time we will be able to legally operate on these modes and that means there may be a need for a calling channel.

Please note: We are not just talking about DX-Ing, this is to choose a calling channel which will be used for local calling as well as DX calling. In fact when the conditions are poor the channel will be almost exclusively for local calling.

The results of this forum will be combined with those of other participating sites/forums, and the eventual majority winner will be chosen as the recommended calling channel across all the sites/forums involved. This will give the biggest say on the decision, as well as ensuring that any eventual winner is adopted by as many CB users as possible, both here in the UK and beyond.

Each forum member will have one vote on each, one for SSB and one for AM. Youy may choose to state your supporting arguments on this thread below, but please keep it to a single post and not an argument/discussion thread.

Results will be collated and published in full for transparency across all sites/forums involved.

delboy
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks for putting a vote or your site.

I've voted for CH14, this was the original AM calling channel and it would be nice to relive those days again!

PolishNicholas
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:15 am

The road channel becomes the FM 19 ?

HighwayPatrol
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
CB Handle: Highway Patrol

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:48 am

In 1980 the A.M calling channel was 19 in Manchester but i believe the calling channel was different in other parts of the country. . If 14 was to be used, would it be a nation wide calling channel ? I would of like 19 but if a load of people came back on the cb, i wouldnt be bothered what channel we used. :D
Baofeng UV 5R
CRT Superstar 3900

Now a member of Charlie Tango Group.

26 CT 2325 :D

26-TM-037
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:27 am

HighwayPatrol wrote:In 1980 the A.M calling channel was 19 in Manchester but i believe the calling channel was different in other parts of the country. . If 14 was to be used, would it be a nation wide calling channel ? I would of like 19 but if a load of people came back on the cb, i wouldnt be bothered what channel we used. :D
Was always ch 14 back here in the late 70's and early 80's...wouldn't worry too much as no one uses AM anyway, I have been monitoring and calling through the midblock on AM since legalisation and only one contact to date :( CBers are not really interested in anything but UK40 and only the DX ers seem to be using SSB.

HighwayPatrol
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Sadly u are right about that and i found out a while back when i went back to Beswick in Manchester expecting A.M on mid band to full of people. I found out that it was totally deserted and everyone that i knew in 1980 had gone.Even the uk fm was totally dead. I thought, maybe everyone was at work, so i went back after 9 pm at night and it was the same on both bands.
Baofeng UV 5R
CRT Superstar 3900

PolishNicholas
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:01 pm

It is a pity that just a little people use cb for road informations in Western Europe... :(

HighwayPatrol
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:37 pm

it is sad yeah, and just to think 34 years ago, cb was booming and full of people.
Baofeng UV 5R
CRT Superstar 3900

Paff
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi,

I have just fitted a multi band CB radio in my 4x4 and I wish I had saved my money as there are no one about, anywhere! I used AM CB radio when is was illegal in the 70s and into the 80s when FM was legalised. So I thought I'd fit one in my truck, I already have Amateur radio in there. What a waste of money.... where have all the people gone? I hear that 14 FM is no longer used for a calling channel, but 19 is now used which used to be just for truckers. Then I read somewhere on the internet that 31 FM is the 'new' calling channel? WTF?

I assume that the EU AM band is the same freq that we used to use in the 70s? If so there is sod all on there either, listened to a few yanks talking the other day, apart from that and the few 'foreigners', or should I say non English speaking Britons on the UK FM band that's it!

Can someone tell me what the calling channels are on UK FM and the EU AM bands please? Or am I listening to the wrong channels/bands??? What channels are used now? Oh, and do you still use 'handles'?

Very disappointed that I have spent good money for nothing... :roll:

Regards,
Steve

HighwayPatrol
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi Steve, i know exactly how you feel. As an old school A.M breaker from the illegal days in 1980, i too was very disappointed when i returned to my old location where my cb days started on A.M, only top find that A.M on midband was totally deserted. Sadly everyone seems to be gone and it looks like its nationwide.You may hear some people on but its finding where . You could drive for miles and miles and not hear anyone. Yes, the EU A.M band is still 26.965 to 27.405 which to me and you was the FCC channels. I put up with the new spec cb radio for 2 months and then i got rid. 80 channel CRT S Mini cost me £55.49 with what i can only describe as, a rubbish mag mount aerial. Total waste of money but i had to find out and now i have. In 1980 the breaking channel in Manchester was 19 and this is the channel i had been calling out on, on A.M and FM UK band. I share your disappointment.I was really gutted as all my friends from 34 years ago, gone forever. What rig did you buy ?
Baofeng UV 5R
CRT Superstar 3900

HighwayPatrol
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi Steve, i know exactly how you feel. As an old school A.M breaker from the illegal days in 1980, i too was very disappointed when i returned to my old location where my cb days started on A.M, only to find that A.M on midband was totally deserted. Sadly everyone seems to be gone and it looks like its nationwide.You may hear some people on but its finding where . You could drive for miles and miles and not hear anyone. Yes, the EU A.M band is still 26.965 to 27.405 which to me and you was the FCC channels. I put up with the new spec cb radio for 2 months and then i got rid. 80 channel CRT S Mini cost me £55.49 with what i can only describe as, a rubbish mag mount aerial. Total waste of money but i had to find out and now i have. In 1980 the breaking channel in Manchester was 19 and this is the channel i had been calling out on, on A.M and FM UK band. I share your disappointment.I was really gutted as all my friends from 34 years ago, gone forever. What rig did you buy ?
Baofeng UV 5R
CRT Superstar 3900

OpticalGhost
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:12 am

The only way we can get more people on CB radio is to send them as XMAS presents.

From nostalgia 14 should be the channel, its where it began and it seems appropriate to keep it to its original roots.

HighwayPatrol
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:13 pm

maybe come christmas, more people will come on the cb. Where i lived it was channel 19 but im not bothered whether its 14 just as long as the cb gets people on it.Would be nice if the caling channel was nationwide.That way people who are mobile will know exactly what channel to call out on.
Baofeng UV 5R
CRT Superstar 3900

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi all,

remember the 80s & early to mid 90s when the CB was booming a lot of people also a lot of idiots who would play music on 19 as not many people would use 14 for some reason & also a lot of people would just sit on 19 chatting away now i am not sure why but maybe they was unable to know how to use the channel change switch :shock: but we will always be unable to change the times of technology now we have mobile phones & computers have taken away a lot of CB users but they still are a lot of CB users it is just knowing when & where people are.

red leopard
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi All,

I lived in Northampton and Ch 16 was the AM calling channel in the late 70's early 80's. It used to be so packed we modified any rigs with PLL02 chips to get an extra 40 channels. Rigs like the WKS and STAG 357 were easy to mod. Nasty radios though! I had a Midland 40ch AM+SSB from Australia - nice radio, I think it was a 7001, not seen one since. Made some great radio friends then, still keep in touch with a few (most went to Amateur radio). Now live in deepest Wiltshire and there is a bit of activity on the UK40 and a lot more in the summer when the farmers are on. Even some AM FCC/CEPT MID band. Activity brings activity it seems. I have had an amateur license since 1980 so tend to stick to bands I can find someone to talk to on. 27/28MHZ SSB has been alive for the past 24 months.