Poll - New SSB Calling Channel

General Chat - one nine for a roger!

Moderator: stampman

What channel would you like to use as a UK SSB calling channel?

Ch12 (27.105Mhz) USB
15%
Ch27 (27.275Mhz) USB
55%
Ch34 (27.345Mhz) USB
5%
Ch38 (27.385Mhz) LSB
25%
NONE
No votes

Total votes: 20
andy@thunderpole.co.uk
Site Admin

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am

AM and SSB modes are expected to become legal in the UK on the CEPT (Mid) Band in the spring of 2014 =D> For the first time we will be able to legally operate on these modes and that means there may be a need for a calling channel.

Please note: We are not just talking about DX-Ing, this is to choose a calling channel which will be used for local calling as well as DX calling. In fact when the conditions are poor the channel will be almost exclusively for local calling.

The results of this forum will be combined with those of other participating sites/forums, and the eventual majority winner will be chosen as the recommended calling channel across all the sites/forums involved. This will give the biggest say on the decision, as well as ensuring that any eventual winner is adopted by as many CB users as possible, both here in the UK and beyond.

Each forum member will have one vote on each, one for SSB and one for AM. Youy may choose to state your supporting arguments on this thread below, but please keep it to a single post and not an argument/discussion thread.

Results will be collated and published in full for transparency across all sites/forums involved.

delboy
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Voted for CH27 - Seems to be the clearest channel out of the selection. Also it would stand out as a UK calling channel (Not noticeably used by any other group/country as a calling channel). Also Chanel 27 - 27.275 on 27MHz - LOADS of 27's there!

CH 12 - too close to the likely AM calling channel (14) + Interference from cordless mice/keyboards on 11A

CH34 - always seems full of European SSB

Ch38 - out of the question as it's already widely known as the American calling channel and is so full of high powered stations that it would be useless as a UK calling channel.

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Bionic Budgie

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:30 am

Just a few thoughts...Most of the time mid block is full of European FM and Am stations...most afternoons depending on conditions..channel 6 is full of super high tx power 'superbowl' stations, as is 10 and 12, plus dx on 37 and 39. Listening this morning the mid block is a mass of Russian taxis and all modes mixed in..its just a mess. UK 40 is dead around here now because all the regular users have gotten fed up with 'Olga' the Russian taxi and the like and the noise levels.... The result is that where there was a good size group here in Suffolk on channel 28, it is now dead..where have we all gone?? To 446 UHF...channel 12. Its just like 28 on CB but clear. No Russians, no noise from tvs/plt etc etc..just Q5 clear channel all the time. We still get the same range as CB with a co-linear white stick.

My point is..before we all get the marching band out because the gov have given us 12 watts of SSB (whoopee!!) its 30 years too late. Anybody who wanted SSB has been running it already for years. Do these guys honestly think that come 'D Day' all these stations will suddenly appear on ssb mid block?? I had an e mail from a local chap through this forum saying where is everybody? He has an Audioline radio, 4 watts out into a loft antenna. I had to tell him that he won't hear anything with that. The few stations around here that do soldier on with uk 40 are miles about and suffer so much noise on receive that you are gonna need a BIG antenna up at 40ft with a BIG power amp to make it..hardly worth the effort. OR you buy a UHF radio and a white stick for less money and agro and get to talk to 20 or so stations in the 446 group, OR get you super easy ham licence and the worlds your oyster.
My Only Worry Is That When I Die..My Wife Will Sell My Radio Gear For What I Told Her I'd Paid For It!

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Budgie,thought you had won the lotto and gone abroad to live!!...Still pushing the 446 agenda i see...Well, first off,i would be happy to buy a UHF radio and white stick,whatever that might be,to make it possible to chat with you, and your group...But you being where you are,and me being where i am,it aint going to happen!!..While on occasions Olga can be a pest,11 metres is generally fine here...Had many copies into the USA this summer on both am/ssb!!...and our am net continues to prosper!!..has done for a few years now...It's sad that 11 metres is messed up in your part of the world..Geographical luck on my part!!...As i have said many times,CB radio is 11 metres!!..anything else is secondary to that!..While i would welcome a UHF system to run along with HF...You know as much as i do, that we will not see it...Anyway ,stay cool Budgie,might just catch you one of these day on 11 metre,ssb!! 8)

Axle Jack
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:27 pm

Legal SSB on mids will make no difference to the total CB users. If anyone wanted to be using SSB, they are. The idea that there are queues of people waiting for it to be legal is a dream. There may be a few who buy a legal 40 channel AM/FM/SSB rig cos they are 100% legit people, but they are not going to make much of a dent.

I see legal SSB being an advantage during sun spot low periods. Where it may encourage local nets which are not DX centred.

Since I moved to Australia I use their 477MHz UHF CB system regularly. And it is brilliant. Far superior to UKFM. It is the system which should have gone global rather than 27MHz. But that's not going to happen in the UK (sorry) so keep using 446 :)

Bionic Budgie
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Bionic Budgie

Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:50 pm

needle bender wrote:Hi Budgie,thought you had won the lotto and gone abroad to live!!...Still pushing the 446 agenda i see...Well, first off,i would be happy to buy a UHF radio and white stick,whatever that might be,to make it possible to chat with you, and your group...But you being where you are,and me being where i am,it aint going to happen!!..While on occasions Olga can be a pest,11 metres is generally fine here...Had many copies into the USA this summer on both am/ssb!!...and our am net continues to prosper!!..has done for a few years now...It's sad that 11 metres is messed up in your part of the world..Geographical luck on my part!!...As i have said many times,CB radio is 11 metres!!..anything else is secondary to that!..While i would welcome a UHF system to run along with HF...You know as much as i do, that we will not see it...Anyway ,stay cool Budgie,might just catch you one of these day on 11 metre,ssb!! 8)
Hello NB,

Yeah..still about..still hammering on same old sh*te.. I still use 27mhz on ssb for the dx stuff but all the channel 28 crowd have moved to UHF. Nothing to do with me..honest. They are free agents, free to make their own choices. When two stations that are only a few miles apart cannot rag chew due to Olga then they look for somewhere clearer. As far as I am aware, they still have 27mhz, just use it for dx stuff now (as I do), all local chit chat is on 446. I,m just happy to chat to fellow freebanders..the frequency is not important. I,m often on T5 (26FB096) and have worked the South West under certain conditions so you never know..

Hope Santa brings you a nice new Legal SSB rig..

TTFN
BB
My Only Worry Is That When I Die..My Wife Will Sell My Radio Gear For What I Told Her I'd Paid For It!

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:43 am

Yeah Budgie,to be honest i have been around much to long to be interested in any new ideas regarding radio comms...I am a bit of a traditionalist regarding radio anyway..I am surrounded by old valve radios here...DAB radio you can keep!..I'll stick with am/vhf...Hopefully it will still be around long enough to see me out of this troubled world!... CB radio is traditional,based on antenna to antenna communication..That to me represents the true spirit of amateur radio,none of this repeater, or satellite stuff!!....We will see if am/ssb works on midband!...if it don't??..Life will go on!! :D

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Axle Jack...I dont think the legal use of am/ssb is going to bring thousands back to CB radio..There may be a bit of a surge due to novelty,but that's all...There is no need for an 11 metre v UHF debate,it serves no purpose!!..Yes we all know that UHF is the preferred mode for local comms!!...And Australia with its wide open spaces,is well suited to that mode!..It all depends on what you want out of two way comms...mobile or homebase?...business,or leisure...many cber's like to DX,so 11 metres is preferred!!....I think the consensus on this forum is that it would be nice to have both HF/UHF,but this government is not going to legalize UHF CB radio.. :(

Axle Jack
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:04 pm

If anyone is interested to read a bit about how the two aussie CB systems compare, I wrote a blurb about it all aimed at UK CBers.

http://www.qsl.net/vk2axl/auscb.html

There is no point in debating it, cos it'll never happen.

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:18 pm

AM SSB legalized hhmm would be nice seeing it all legalized but the only thing on my mind is how many idiots it is going to attract i mean just look at what FM has become chatter boxes sitting on 19 are they sure what channel change switch is :shock: & how many users are going to abuse AM SSB, i was in a conversation back in the early 90s with other users who was on ssb & we all talked about how it would be like if SSB LSB USB was legalized & we all agreed it would be good to have it all legalized & still keep FM frequency going but we would not like to hear SSB LSB USB broad casted that it has become legal to use if & when it does become legal so that SSB LSB USB does not become how FM has become :wink:

& yes i did vote for channel 27 as channel 12 is already used by users who are using it on LSB USB & SSB.