Where to now

General Chat - one nine for a roger!
cdaw
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

I started off 2 years ago with a cheap scanner and not much info on frequencies but had an interest as I live near Heathrow.
Early this year, I got a GRE PSR-295 scanner and started loading in frequencies manually having purchased data from ukscanningdirectory.co.uk
I also went as far as purchasing a decent but cheap camera and doing some plane spotting whilst scanning the air band frequencies.
I've obtained a lot more frequencies now and learnt more about radio scanning and also taken an interest listening to air band/business/amateurs.

Now I'm left thinking:
1 - Do I purchase a new scanner with pc programming capabilities to clean up the banks and add new frequencies (and get an aerial for my car and/or at home)
2 - Do I purchase a CB radio to get on the airwaves which has grabbed my interest (not sure how many CB users there are around Heathrow)
3 - Do I get a radio for UHF CB / PMR446 (could there be more users than standard CB?)
4 - Do I go for an amateur licence (my technical knowledge of radios/aerials is close to non existent)

As there may have been people in a similar situation, would anyone like to help or provide some advice?
Amateur call sign: M6UCW
Uniden USC230 , Baofeng UV-5R , Yaesu FT-7900 , Icom IC-207H , CS700
Find me on GB3AL, GB3HR & GB7NS (DMR) and scanning many others
Also scanning VHF, UHF & DMR simplex frequencies
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

cheapest way is cb radio and then progress to amateur you will be taught all you need to know to pass the test and as you know nothing now the you have no bad habits to get rid off good luck which ever way you decide to go

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it
cdaw
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

My father has a setup back in day (early 70's in Manchester / IOM - call sign Manxman) then in South Africa in the 70's/80's especially when groups of us went on holidays. We also had a friend close by with an outbuilding setup sufficient to pick up the USA. This all grabbed my interest and more so when I moved from South Africa to the UK a few years ago.

I was thinking to go CB but then the question is, how much traffic is there around the areas I travel? I've not picked up any on my scanner but picked up some amateur activity. I've now taken to looking at trucks I pass on the M25/M4 to see how many have aerials (I saw this topic somewhere the other day) - I saw about 7 over the 3 dozen plus trucks I passed (but it was rush hour and dark). Being near Heathrow, I would hope that there is a bit of activity.

My idea is to get a handheld so I can mount an aerial on the car and at home - saves buying 2 units plus I cant really see a way to mount a unit in the car (I have a 12 plate 5 door Corsa) without making marks which I'd prefer not to do. I'd look at getting a mobile type window mount and a mic. I also travel a lot to Europe so a handheld would come in handy.
Amateur call sign: M6UCW
Uniden USC230 , Baofeng UV-5R , Yaesu FT-7900 , Icom IC-207H , CS700
Find me on GB3AL, GB3HR & GB7NS (DMR) and scanning many others
Also scanning VHF, UHF & DMR simplex frequencies
AppleTree
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Uncle Bulgaria

There are a fair few CB users about.... It's great fun to build your gear up and progress no matter what you do haha.