Question is CB dead...or do you just have to have SSB

General Chat - one nine for a roger!

Moderator: stampman

Dipolestaffs
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 pm

So dug my old CB stuff out ae6490 and a 5" whip, heard very occasional distant chatter but no chance of a Roger..

Well crap twig I thought so stuck a 18' dipole up, hear something I thought, if there's life buy a Ssb rig...

What do I hear ...nothing...less than nothing, turns out my psi is chucking noise...goto battery...nothing just static...

So is CB dead, has everyone gone to Ssb and is it worth a new rig?

Right now feeling bit dispirited

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:10 am

a whole new generation of users out there and most are mic shy every one listene's but no one talks

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Dipolestaffs
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:24 am

Even shouting out..no response.....

Reluctant to shell out for an Ssb rig if it's just going to be the same paperweight it appears anon Ssb rig is (though companies seem to be selling both so who is buying them?)

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:16 pm

its a shame cb radio is not in a good state ....but it all depends where you live

Twocky61
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
CB Handle: Jay Walker

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:01 am

There is a little traffic here in Dorset. HAM operators use CB band 8 - 10 evenings before moving to HAM when propagation picks up

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:48 pm

The problem with 11 metres is that folks no longer call for a copy....Earwigging is the norm, so you never hear anybody on channel which in turn makes you switch off......There needs to be a concerted effort to encourage the use of channel 14 as a calling channel!! Will it happen? Probably not!..... :(

Twocky61
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:24 pm

There are a few places where either CB or PMR are used:

+Quarries

+Farms

Saves them paying out for their own private frequencies. Talking of PMR there are available longer range PMR handhelds instead of the standard five mile range. IIRC these have a twenty mile range

needle bender
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:32 am

We have an old school am net in my part of the world which has been active for many years...I have always stayed true to am mode.....That's where it started with me. And that's where it will end with me! As for UHF handie talkies, I have yet to come across any with a twenty mile range, be they VHF/UHF or HF....That is unless you are up in the hills where even 446 cheapies can do thirty/forty miles or more....I don't know how old you are, but I cannot see the glory days of CB radio ever returning unless people start to call for copies once more...Still if you ever get west of Plymouth, try shouting on am midband, the old school codgers will answer you. :D

Twocky61
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks Needle :)

I'm 56 so at CB's peak in the 80's after CB was legalised in UK I was in my 20's