Basic PMR question

General Chat - one nine for a roger!

Moderator: stampman

robbo75
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:37 pm

Evening Everybody,

I'm a complete newbie to the world of radio and to this forum, so be gentle!!

I am aware that there is a PMR specific forum but it hasn't had any traffic in some months so I thought this might be the place to get a more rapid response!

I am going to be organising and taking part in various driving events in the next twelve months and we desperately need some radio communication between cars. I have some Retevo handsets but they only work up to 200 ft inn urban areas which is pretty useless. Ideally i would like some handsets that can operate between half a mile and a mile and be licence free.

I am looking to get some Motorola handsets but I wanted to get some advice from you guys before I purchase anything.

If I get different models of Motorola say, for example, CP040 and also some GP388, both of which are PMR radios will they be able to communicate with each other?

Sorry if this should be basic knowledge - I thought you guys would be able to provide me with an answer pretty rapidly!

All the best

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 am

BEST WOULD BE MIDLAND 42 and you can put external antenna on to fully increase the range or a cheaper option would be a Thunderpole 800 with cig lighter plug on + external antenna ring Andy at our sponsers for a full discussion on the options and prices

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

robbo75
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 am

stampman wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 am
BEST WOULD BE MIDLAND 42 and you can put external antenna on to fully increase the range or a cheaper option would be a Thunderpole 800 with cig lighter plug on + external antenna ring Andy at our sponsers for a full discussion on the options and prices

Thanks Stampman

Can you answer me another question? The Thunderpole option - which for me at the moment would the preferred route due to financial constraints - am I right in thinking that I would not need a licence etc?

Do you think they would work over a distance of, say, a mile?

Thanks so much for your help

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:21 pm

NO NO LICENCE NEEDED and would opperate depending on antenna up to 10+ miles depending on tarrain as well

robbo75
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:01 pm

stampman wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:21 pm
NO NO LICENCE NEEDED and would opperate depending on antenna up to 10+ miles depending on tarrain as well

Excellent - thanks again Stampman. Pretty much made up my mind now.

If I fir the radio with a cigarette lighter fitting, and also have an adapter for home do you think I can use the thunderpole inside my house?

all the best

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:39 am

yes you can a magmout on the washing machine/fridge/cooker will work

robbo75
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:05 am

stampman wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:39 am
yes you can a magmout on the washing machine/fridge/cooker will work

Thanks - it should be arriving today so will have fun trying to set it up!

robbo75
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:36 pm

Today has been the first day that I have had a chance to get out and properly try to set up the radio.

Bear in mind I am a complete newbie to all of this!!

I have an Albrecht 6110, moon raker magmount and antenna, fairly basic SWR meter.

Mounted the antenna on the roof of the car, connected the SWR and turned the radio onto channel 1. The SWR meter read 3 on REF and 2.2 when on channel 40.

Apparently this could be due to grounding issues within the car - can anyone give me, in layman's terms, some ideas about how I can troubleshoot the problem?

I was going to mount the antenna to the roof rails but was told the protective rubber i was going to wrap around the rail under the antenna clamp would act as an insulator and thus ruin the signal. My mag mount has a thick tubber pad on the base - i assume as scratch protection - but will the rubber pad not do the same thing and act as an insulator?

Thanks yet again for all your help and advice.