Scanners and receivers, inlcuding Airband - advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Billybob
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi folks,
Im also new to the scanner game. "Here we go again!" I here you cry! #-o
Ive been reading the posts of this section picking up tips n frequencies to listen to. Thank you all :)

Ive became the owner of an old Realistic 400 channel pro 2005, works ok. I brought a home base multi band vertical antenna witch says it covers the same range of my scanner (25.000-1300.000). Ive put it on top of my roof.

But im still struggling to hear fearly local stuff say 10-15 miles away specially on uk CB Band, were my CB radio picks up easy!

Am I expecting to much for what this set up is, or is there any thing i could do to help improve reception?
Im also awear of location and hight is a factor, I live in the city of wolverhampton, surley there is loads of stuff I cant yet
pick up!:(

Ive also heard talk about running a wire down your garding like a washing line effect for an antenna is there any truth in this, if so im up for experimenting if anybody knows of such device and could give advice!

Thanks again you guys, hope to hear from soon! :D
Billybob...

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:53 pm

is it set to wide band or narrow fm for the uk cb should be nfm

:D :D :D :D :D *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Billybob
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:44 pm

Hiya,
Yeah NFM band when scanning local CB stuff!

I mean im getting better reception when i plug in my antron 99, but of course that has way less band range! :?

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:26 am

you will get better reception with dedicated antenna anyway

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Billybob
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:45 am

Hiya Stampman,
When you say dedicated antenna, do you mean, rather than have a a multiband, :? get a antenna for a certain bands,
and such? :?

hotmetal1000
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:20 pm

An antenna that is tuned for a certain band will give better receive on that band than a multiband antenna. The Anton 99 will get deafer and deafer the further away from 27mhz you get. The multiband antenna should start to work better between 100mhz and 500mhz. I don't know what services use what bands in your country but it's a matter of sitting there a bit and scanning the bands for channels to listen too. Air band in Australia is between 115mhz and 135mhz and as an axample I can hear the planes a couple of hundred k's away communicating with the towers. If it is just the cb band you wanted to listen to then the best antenna you could use is a cb antenna.
Hope this makes some sense to you.

Billybob
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:11 pm

Hiya, Hotmetal,

Yeah I think i got you on that 1!
I was just using my a99 as a comparison! :wink:
The services in the uk start around 150 Mhz and so on...I know my vertical a99 would be well out of its depth up there!

I think what im after is a good alrounder twig, then again I fear im gonna have to compromise some what for this! :roll:

My scanner ranges from 25.000 to 1300.000. So im after some thing what can recieve this kinda range, vertical, discone or even home made ill have a go at. If I do have to spend a little cash, I just want it to go the right direction for a antenna!
Thanks again for your advice H.M

Billy... :D :D

hotmetal1000
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:11 am

I use an Icom AH7000 Discone Antenna here at home mounted about 8m up from the ground. I must say I'm very happy with it, works a treat.

Billybob
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:31 am

Ive done a little search on that inter web :) for the Discone AH 7000, and it is the kinda thing i would go for, as its only a little over 5ft so it wont attack the neighbours "if you know what i mean!" :roll:

Do you find it has many holes through the frquencies, and were in the range do you find it comes in to its own 'so to speak' works best?
For what I can see they are coming in at around the £100 mark If this is right...

All the radio shops promote this and that this,radio/antenna/ meter, and soon to be the good, and thats fine!
But using and woking them can some times be diffrent.
This is why I like to bug the operators who use and live with them to get the real story and there verdict! :wink:

Thanks again H.M what a star*
Regards
Billy***

hotmetal1000
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:02 am

We have the airband in the 100mhz to 150 mhz and all your emergency services and other comms are in the 400mhz to 500mhz range. The Icom seems to work quite well there, down at 27mhz it works but no where new as well as my imax 2000 or my 5ft whip. I have a friend with a 4ft scanner whip antenna and the icom seems to work a bit better than his whip. I wouldn't go out and buy a new icom to replace a his whip tho.

Billybob
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:04 pm

Nice 1 buddy, some food for thought there!

It does look like the the discone is the way to go...Sounds like kinda what im after!
If i want to wade through the low 25-30MHz my a99 should cope down there :|
Thanks for the low down on yr icom, looks like im gonna have to start crawling round my partener and being nice,she'll know im after something!!!
Thanks again H.M

Billy....
Right antenna towers! =P~ .........................only kidding, shes only just starting talking to me again! 8-[