Scanners and receivers, inlcuding Airband - advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

marsh phantom
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Marsh Phantom

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:17 pm

A yeasu VR-500 handie

i after a scanner, i sold my old pro-26 a while back but now wish i didnt, i can get something a bit better this time though.

so anyone use the vr500

im after a all mode (dont need cw but if its on there it makes no diference)
no gaps from low i.e 100khz ish up to around 1200 mhz ish

basicly the one im after is the yaesu, what are peoples opinions of this scanner if they have had hands on with it.

cheers
Ed
Marshphantom
26-TM-1986

Radios; Magnum 257, Icom IC-706MK11G, Yaesu VX-7R
Antennas; Wilson little wil (mobile) 1/4 wave tank whip (static mobile) Antron A-99 (homebase) Antron A-99 with GP kit (the big static mobile antenna)
Scanner Yaesu VR500

hobgobblin
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Hobgobblin

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Hey yeah, I'm the proud owner of a Yaesu VR500 handheld scanner! I've had it a while now and it's nothing more than excellent!! It's very well built (I've dropped it on the floor more than once with no ill effect). It covers 100Khz to 1300Mhz with no gaps, NFM, WFM, LSB, USB, AM, CW....It's very easy to programme in and store frequencies after playing with it for a while and finding the right sections in the manual!!! Yaesu makes amateur radio stuff and is a well trusted name amongst 'hams'. The only thing I will say to think about is it has been around for a few years and doesn't have the features of some of the more modern scanners (like Close Call and things). Anyway, if you're looking for a small, rugged, reliable scanner then this one is one to consider but do look at others and choose the one that's right for you and does everything you want to do!!!!

73's

Hobgobblin
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller

marsh phantom
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:39 pm

nice one cheers buddy,

i like the yaesu kit i have a vx-7r (freebanded) good on rx with a aftermarket antenna, the standard antenna is only good on the 40/144/430 mhz as this is all the radio is supposed to do.

does the vr500 have a clarifyer for ssb and have you used it on ssb ( how do you think it fairs up to ssb, is it pretty good?) or have you not used it on ssb. it looks like there is a clarifyer on the bottom of the right hand knob on the top of the radio??

i think providing the ssb is ok then this i think will be the one for me, apart from nowhere has them in stock at the mo lol :) bidded on a second hand one the other day with a small crack in the case but it got a bit to close to the as new price so will wait till someone has them back in stock i think and buy new
Ed
Marshphantom
26-TM-1986

Antennas; Wilson little wil (mobile) 1/4 wave tank whip (static mobile) Antron A-99 (homebase) Antron A-99 with GP kit (the big static mobile antenna)
Scanner Yaesu VR500

hobgobblin
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Hobgobblin

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:38 am

I've used it on Sideband to listen to transatlantic aircraft conversations with no probs using a pre-amp and Angler antenna. No it hasn't got a clarifier or anything for SSB which is a shame. The stuff I've listened to came through nice and clear on all freqs./bands/modes. Good luck at finding one then!

73's

Hobgobblin
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller

marsh phantom
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:02 pm

oh thats a shame,

have you ever heard any freeband 27mhz ssb stuff, i.e. 27.555 usb

still i think this may still be the one, think i shall wait till someone has one in stock and i can go have a look/play,

wonder if there are any scanners like this out there that does have a clarifyer (anyone know)

cheers for the info though
Ed
Marshphantom
26-TM-1986

Scanner Yaesu VR500

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:59 am

some of the icom have ssb on and work well

:D :D :D *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

marsh phantom
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:49 pm

well i am the owner of a second hand yaesu vr500 came with instructions, yaesu battery pack and yaesu charger, all as new for £70.00

im fairly impressed compared to my old pro 26 realistic.

has a very good rx on all modes, even the standard antenna is fairly good, i am using a watson w801 regular gainer that was given to me and a deul coil mag mountable antenna for the car and im getting lots of comms.

build is very good, volume and dial rotary switches could do with being the other way around like most other radios but i just have to train my fingers now to use the correct dial.

very fast scan speeds

over all i like it a lot would recommend to others anyday
Ed
Marshphantom
26-TM-1986

Scanner Yaesu VR500