Shortwave Radio

Scanners and receivers, inlcuding Airband - advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

hobgobblin
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Hobgobblin

Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:53 pm

One part of my radio hobby is Shortwave Radio Listening (aswell as CB, Scanning....). Anyway, I thought I'd ask if anyone else was into DX-listening too, what equipment they had and what they'd listened to....

Me? I have an Eddystone 670A just on a long wire no-frills antenna which picks up so well for such an old girl. I've tuned into America, China, even Australia...European stuff is dead easy to get. Then, my more modern set next to my bed is an Eton S350DL running off a Sony AN-LP1 which performs superbly. A set of D batteries in the Eton last 12 months with daily use. I've had it just over a year now and am still very pleased with it.

If you're wondering what there is to listen to - well anything and everything. With an AM only set it's mainly broadcast stations from around the world, whereas if you get yourself a set with sideband then you really open the door and can pick up lots lots more.

73's

Hobgobblin

Road_Hog
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:09 pm

I like the look of the Eddystone, much nicer than the new one. I used to be in to SWL in the '70s, I had a single valve radio that run off of a 90v battery and then progressed on to a proper multi valve radio. Same as you, a long wire aerial, which is the best and simplest, accepting that it is directional.

I'm not sure what people listen to these days, there must be some guides knocking about for SWL listening.

hobgobblin
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:19 am

I got a really good book called Passport to World Band Radio for Christmas. It gives pages and pages of frequencies, broadcast stations around the globe and what's good and bad with lots of different radios and antennas available today. A search on google will take you to lists of amateur radio frequencies plus there are a good few books that'll tell you where to tune into to receive allsorts of stuff.

73's

Hobgobblin
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller

hobgobblin
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Fri May 15, 2009 4:06 pm

Just ordered (from USA, made by Radio Shack) a 75ft long shortwave radio antenna for my Eddystone....should improve the reception! :) :) :)
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller

shano
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:04 am

I'm thinking of setting myself a HF wire antena soon according to my two frequency directorys !
Marine HF and civil aviation HF there's a lot to listen to and I know seaking 128 talks on HF
Does anyone know if HF is really bustling with radio traffic ?