Help with choosing new antenna for PSR 282

Scanners and receivers, inlcuding Airband - advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

yanni090393
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi everyone, i need help with buying a new antenna for my handheld scanner which is the GRE PSR 282 ( http://www.rigpix.com/gre/psr282.jpg), the link shows the scanner, what im looking for is something that can receive the airband frequencies much clearer (i think im talking about a stronger antenna :P ), im familiar with the line of site rule, and i tryed using coax and connecting the antenna, but the change was minimal, im surrounded by hills and i sorta live in a bowl, so i am open to any suggestions, also can someone suggest an antenna for the car, as in a mobile antenna (also for airband).

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:34 am

if your in a dip or bowl then the only thing you can do is get the aerial as high as possible and use a good quality discona

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

hobgobblin
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Hobgobblin

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 pm

When I was into scanning I experimented with a few antennas (I listened mainly to aircraft plus a few other things).....yes, the discone is good for indoor or static use with a vehicle: what I got to further improve things was a pre-amp to boost incoming signals. At home also I was limited to indoor antennas and the Watson Angler worked well for me with the pre-amp....it was all hidden in the room too. Hope this helps!
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller

jumpingmaster
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: jumpingmaster

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:39 am

a dual band 2mtr / 70 cms outdoor antenna works very well on scanners, plenty of gain on antenna, which makes discone look inadequate . also good for pmr 446 use as well.
i have seen some on the sponsor web site.