SCANNER FOR A BEGINNER : ADVICE PLEASE

Scanners and receivers, inlcuding Airband - advice and troubleshooting
wlm-21
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Hello

Although I've always been interested in planes, my air band radio packed in several years ago.

However I now want to get a scanning device to hear the planes arriving at Newcastle airport as well as marine services

I take my elderly father to the sea front and mouth of the Tyne very often. Being an ex Chief Engineer he has always been keen on ships and boats

Would a scanner pick up the coastguard ?

Is there a shore to ship radio link when a ship comes or enters the river, could I pick this up

I want a portable scanner, with a price up to about £100 ' ish

I've sort of picked the Uniden X92 model ... Is this any good ??

What else could I liten to appart from the planes and ships ?

Is therre a list of frequencies anywhere, for my area (Whitley Bay, North Tyneside)

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks !!
pips
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Hi,

I have a UBC-105 XLT Uniden-Bearcat Handheld Scanner which I use for listening into the aircraft passing over our house on approach to Manchester Airport. It's a great model, and does what I need it to do. I am assuming something like this model would be great for you too.

Not sure what the Marine Frequencies are, so it may not suit your needs. The list of Frequencies the 105 supports are:-

* 29 - 54MHz (VHF Low Band), 108 - 137MHz (Aircraft), 137 - 144MHz (Military land mobile), 144 - 146MHz (Amateur 2m band), 146 - 174MHz (VHF High band), 406 - 512MHz (Amateur 70cm band)
* 6 preprogrammed search bands * 100 channels
* Scan rate 17 ch. per second * Search rate 20 steps per second

Cheers,
Phil.
If it ain't broke........ fix it 'til it is!
stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

ring "THE MAN COLIN" at thunderpole full of good advice and he will recomend a scanner that will do what you want

:D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it