Still plenty to listen to on VHF/UHF.

Scanners and receivers, inlcuding Airband - advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

hobgobblin
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Hobgobblin

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:00 pm

With my trusty old Realistic PRO-26 and Watson Super-Gainer antenna I'm picking lots of good stuff up everyday I switch it on. Lots of aircraft up to about 180 miles away and quite a few boats and that on the Marine Band. Interesting up here at the mo. Big NATO exercise on and I picked up an American warship telling boats to stay clear and giving them warnings.
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller

clouseau
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu May 28, 2015 4:22 am

Peace of advice: don't advertise the fact that you are monitoring military communications, that's never wise. Remember that the web is a public place and some members may even be Ofcom officials. Never trust anyone or anything unless you know them or it! There is also a commonly held belief that its ok to listen to anything you want providing you don't act on the information you have heard, or tell anyone else. THIS IS FALSE TOTALLY FALSE, and if you are caught with sensitive frequencies in your scanners memory you will be prosecuted. The public are very limited to what they can legally listen to, even listening to your local dustman is illegal! And so is listening to civilian aircraft! Although the latter is tolerated, and I've never known anyone who's ever been prosecuted for it. But it basically means that even people with airband radios are breaking the law monitoring at their local airport. Its really about time the wireless telegraphy act is updated I guess.