Which scanner

Scanners and receivers, inlcuding Airband - advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Ant1981
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:44 pm

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and new to scanners.

I'm after a scanner, to listen to the ATC talking to aircraft and so on, as I have an interest in aircraft and also it would help as I photograhph aircraft also.

So what should I be looking for in a scanner? To listen to different bases, what do I need? How far in distance can I listen in on? Say, if an airbase was 40 miles away, could I listen to it from home to get an idea of traffic? What do I need?

Cheers guys ;)

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:14 am

just about any scanner will recive air band just remember that the signal is line of site and you need a homebase antenna as high as you can get it the planes will be no problem but the airport may be all you can do is try it get a freqency book from colin at this site and it will give you a strart

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it

Ant1981
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:16 pm

Bit dead in here isn't it?

Anyway, quick question, what uses frequencies from 512Mhz to 806Mhz?

Photographer
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: Terminator / 26TM233

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:42 pm

I use an AOR8200 handheld scanner (before that a Yupiteru 7200) for listening to aircraft. You can hear the aircraft from hundreds of miles away and the towers from at least 50 ish. I use a magmount on my car with a dualband whip which boosts this range. Ideally, go for a scanner that covers 0 to 1000MHz with no gaps because once you get one, you'll want to listen to other stuff too and this will cover you for everything then. You should be able to get one with 1000 memories for about £100 notes nowadays. Let me know if you want any more advice.......
http://www.stphotography.org

In Northampton, next to the finest CB Radio Shop in the UK..!!

M3 FLP - 26 TM 233 - Photographer