Advice needed please guys!

General amateur radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

hobgobblin
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Hobgobblin

Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Car has been in for a new set of tyres this week. When I got it back, both my Magnum 257 AND Yaesu had been messed about with....all the buttons and dials were different to how I'd left them and both radios were tuned to completely different frequencies. Now the worrying bit: I use USB on the Magnum around the 28.400Mhz bit of the 10m band and had left it tuned to the calling frequency. Also this is where the antenna is correctly tuned to with my swr being 1.5 and just under. When I switched the Magnum on after I'd got the car back it was tuned to 29.537Mhz which meant they'd done an awful lot of button pressing! Advice needed for the next question: if they've tx'd on this frequency could they have damaged my radio? My initial thoughts are yes, but am not sure how to find out. The warranty doesn't cover mis-use so do you think they should buy me a new radio?? At the moment the garage owner isn't being very cooperative!! :x
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:58 pm

think you will have a struggle its a lesson for next time dont leave stuff where children play just sort it out and check the swr again

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

hobgobblin
Chatter Box
Chatter Box
CB Handle: Hobgobblin

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:11 pm

Checked the swr & pwr with my meter...all's well there! Then Saturday evening I went out to do my ham radio and the Magnum 257 is working brilliantly!! Got a 5, 7 report from my friend I had a ragchew with!!! The VX-8E is working fine too.....was doing APRS at the same time and I showed up on http://aprs.fi :D
HOBGOBBLIN
"Others looked at radio and saw a
gadget; his genius lay in his capacity
to look at the same thing . . . but
to see far more." Nelson A Rockefeller