Amateur Help And Guidance Please

General amateur radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

RichP
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:34 am

Hi Everyone.

Im looking for some help and ideas from you guys if i can please.

I have been using C.B's for many years off & on so have a good grasp of basic radios etc., i have been reading lots about the new Foundation Exam to become a Ham operator
and the more i read the more im keen on the idea, i have found a local ish club to me that does training and the exam but before i get carried away im quite unsure
about my situation of where i live, trying to keep the wife and kids happy etc.about instalation of a aerial etc?

Im looking at running a base station at home and i live in a small estate in a rural village, i have a small back garden where the kids need to play etc. so all this needs
to be taken into consideration.

Can a ameteur radio work well from a chimney mounted areial ? would this cover all bands.?
do i need planning etc.?

I want to look at all avenues to see if its worth me doing my foundation or am i going to struggle with the space availible to me etc.?

Many Thanks in Advance.

Rich.... :D

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:32 am

yes will work on chimney mounted antenna for start and you will pick tips up for hf from hams at the club remember your bigggest asset is opening your mouth and asking for advice

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Off Roader
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
CB Handle: Off Roader

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Greetings Rich,

I presently run a Comet CHA-250B multiband vertical.

QUOTE: The Comet CHA250B broadband vertical antenna will amazingly cover 80 meters through 6 meters with no gaps! Transmit range is 3.5-57 MHz and receive range is 2-90 MHz. SWR <1.5:1. This 23.5 foot vertical requires no radials and weighs only 7.1 lbs. The antenna consists of five sections of aluminum tubing that slide into each other. The bottom section has the matching network built-in. Only two simple measurements are required during the easy assembly. It can handle 250 watts SSB and 125 watts FM. SO-239 input. Mounts on a 1 to 2 inch mast (not supplied). Rated for 67 MPH wind survival.

It works well from my location, have had contacts into the states running QRP, not bad considering it's ground mounted.
Hope that helps

Off Roader
Dave
AKA Off Roader
(aka Hero from the 80's)

adam79
New to the Scene
New to the Scene
CB Handle: Plowboy

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:06 pm

I started off on HF when I passed my Foundation, I put a dipole down the garden, I put some string through a small hoop screw that I put in the wall near the roof so I could raise and lower the dipole when I wanted to go on the radio and a string connected to the other end tied to the fence at the far end of the garden. (this helps to keep the wife happy) as it could all come down and be packed away. Now my wife has brought me a garden shed for a shack :D

Always ask is the key to amateur radio.