Curious noob, with questions about Amateur Radio

General amateur radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Eviltwin
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:43 am

I've been toying with the idea of going for the Foundation Licence, but have a few questions about equipment...

I know with the foundation licence I'd be limited to 10W, but most units seem to offer more like 50W and up, is there a way of turning down the power on these units?

Then theres the question of wavelengths. 70cm, 2m, 6m, 10m etc, which wavelengths would I actually be able to use with the Foundation license? and which bands is it recommended for getting started in Amateur Radio with (basically what kind of radio to buy first)?

Finally I presume a mobile setup is pretty much the same as for a CB?

Also are SWR meters universal, or do you need a different one for each band?

Lot of questions I know, but thats it for now. And I know one answer will probably be to join a club, but my local club: Ipswich last updated their website in 2004 and had one meeting a month then. Any club that hasn't made an update to their website in 7 years, doesn't bode well for running the tuition I'd need to pass the foundation.
I'm no expert, please take anything i say with a tablespoon of salt!

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:05 pm

yes they will turn down on the set

you can use all wave lengths

you can sart any where try local radiop club for info

mobile set ups same as cb

zatagi mod 203 for swr meter our sponsers do them

radio hams move slowley byt surley the probable lost the computer expert so they cant up date the site go and chat you could fill that post

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

checkpointcharlie
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Yea go for the licence i like all aspects of Radio HAM/CB im not a purist and love my CB infact £2000 in 2 Ham Radios and they are not even switched on at the minute unlike my spanking new KPO DX5000 which is singing away in the back ground :lol: :lol: 10/4 73s
I want a hygain penertrator or mighty magnum what happened to the legends?

Eviltwin
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Just got the Foundation Licence NOW! book, to be honest nothing seems that special or technical, other than having to learn morse.

Exactly why you have to learn a code that was abandoned in any practical form a few years back is a mystery, but if thats a requirement, then I'll have to look for a tutorial package.

checkpointcharlie
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:27 am

You dont have to learn morse i think they get you in to send a few words that you read from a board easy stuff get forward mate,
Regards Mark alias Checkpoint Charlie 10/4
I want a hygain penertrator or mighty magnum what happened to the legends?

steve70
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Does the Foundation licence expire?
I.E Do you have to go for the intermediate and advanced in order to stay on, or could you just take the foundation and stick with it?

Eviltwin
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Think it's a one time deal, for the licence. But you're limited in terms of power (10w), and you can't modify your radio transmitter while you're only on the foundation.

But if you look at the equipment, CB runs on 11 meter, and one of the more common frequencies is 10m, which means many tweaked CB's antennas will run into this band, and certain tweaked CB's can operate 10m. So effectively getting the foundation, and operating one of the ham bands can be really cheap.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:47 am

no it dose not expire you just have to tell them you are alive every 5 years

if it anit broke dont fix it

Fat Rat
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 pm

steve70 wrote:Does the Foundation licence expire?
Unfortunately not :(

26-TM-037
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:22 am

stampman wrote:no it dose not expire you just have to tell them you are alive every 5 years

Thanks for reminding me....lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

MikeZero
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:58 am

stampman wrote: you can use all wave lengths
Beggin yer pardon, but that's not actually correct. A Foundation Licence holder can use the HF Amateur Band, 6m ,VHF (2m) and UHF (70cm), but is not allowed to use the the higher frequencies such as 23cm / Microwave etc.
stampman wrote:zatagi mod 203 for swr meter our sponsers do them
the Zetagi HP203 will NOT do UHF. So if you have a set capable of 70cms, that particular Meter is no good for you. There are plenty out there that WILL cover 1.8MHz to 525MHz such as the K-Po SX-40 from Thunderpole - LINK

M5AKA
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:10 pm

MikeZero wrote:Beggin yer pardon, but that's not actually correct. A Foundation Licence holder can use the HF Amateur Band, 6m ,VHF (2m) and UHF (70cm), but is not allowed to use the the higher frequencies such as 23cm / Microwave etc.
Foundation can use Microwaves, the bands they have are:

136 kHz, 1.8, 3.5, 7, 10 14, 18, 21, 24, 28, 50, 70,144, 430 MHz plus the 10 GHz Microwave band

Trevor
http://www.g0mwt.org.uk/training/