Help total newbie :)

General amateur radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

judgey
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Hey guys just need some info...

Im very new to "Amateur Radio" so please be kind and treat me as a total newbie.

I got a QuanSheng TG-UV2 dual-band (VHF/UHF) FM hand-held transceiver from china it has very good reviews. I wanted to see what amateur radio was all about before i spent a lot of money and going for my test. I belive that your allowed to scan but not trasmit without having a licence (please tell me if i have been misinformed)

I got this thing to scan and pick up the local taxi firm and thats about it. I hear a lot about repeaters but dont understand how to get them up on my radio. All i want to do is to start understanding the way you set things up and see if i get an interest in it all.

So if anyone has the patients to go into detail with it all with me that would be great.

Cheers guys.

Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: Guzzy

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Amateur radio is a HUGE topic.

To answer your specific questions:

Yes you can listen, even with a TX capable transceiver. Just don't be tempted to transmit. Amateurs tend to have a very good memory for voices... [-X

The 2m and 70cm repeaters (all repeaters in fact) require you to listen on one frequency and transmit into them on another frequency.

So you might listen to a repeater on 145.700, and you would hear everybody talking through that repeater. When you come to transmit, you would need to transmit into the repeater on another frequency (145.100 or what is called a -600kHz repeater shift), so it can listen and then "repeat" (simultaneously) your smaller signal with it's bigger and higher signal (the reason you use a repeater in the first place).

To prevent 'repeating' unwanted signals (random noise), repeaters use a thing called CTCSS. Basically, this is a sub audible (humans can't hear it) tone that the machine can hear and acts as a 'key' to open the repeater. Without the correct CTCSS, the repeater won't repeat your signal. It will just ignore you.

To listen, you don't need to worry about CTCSS, it's only important when transmitting.

Here is a list of all of the UK amateur repeaters: http://www.ukrepeater.net/index.html

It's got a google map feature, so you can see what's close to you.

Most repeaters 'ident' (send out a morse code burst telling you which repeater they are) every fifteen minutes. If no one is talking through them, you wont know they are there until they 'identify' themselves.

Hope this helps a bit.

judgey
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks loads that some great info, ill go have a play and get back to you if you dont mind :)

Cheers again

judgey
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Hey mate sorry for asking this i know it must sound very lame...

My radio dose

Frequency range: FM: 88-108MHz (RX); VHF: 136-174MHz (RX/TX); UHF1: 350-390MHz (RX/TX); UHF2: 400-470MHz (RX/TX); UHF3: 470-520MHz (RX)

So what Repeaters would i be looking for?

Cheers mate

EDIT -

Im trying to get on this one

Repeater Output: 145.7500 MHz
Repeater Input: 145.1500 MHz
NGR: SJ123701
CTCSS: 110.9Hz
QTHR: IO83IF
Region: WM
Keeper: G7OBW

When i input 145.7500 MHz my radio gose to 145.740 :(

EDIT 2

Oky i have found out why, channel step was set wrong.

judgey
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 pm

Oky here we go again lol

Right this below is like less than 1 mile away from me, can i use this with my radio? Been on the chan but hearing nothing for a while. I have dual watch on my radio on.

http://www.ukrepeater.net/repeaters/gb7wp.htm

Or this the below for a diffrent type of radio?

It has this

CHANNEL DVU73
OUTPUT 439.9125 MHz
RX1 430.9125 MHz

but on others it dont say about channel name or RX1

Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:24 pm

The repeater you have posted the link to (GB7WP) is a D-Star digital repeater, you need an Icom D-Star equipped radio to even receive the audio.

Leave the GB7xxx repeaters off your search list, just look for the GB3xxx repeaters on 2m and 70cm.

As long as you listen on the repeaters output frequency, you should be fine, just be aware that the repeaters aren't used much these days, and you are more likely to hear people on during the weekly commuting time and perhaps weekends.

You will hear very few using the repeaters during the weekday or weekday evening, generally speaking.

One word of caution, it is common practice for repeater keepers (the person who maintains the repeater) to have a voice activated digital recording system on the repeater, so any and all transmissions through it are recorded. This has become common practice due to Ofcom only responding to evidence rather than reported violations when abuse occurs. This is worth knowing if you are thinking about having a *play* with one.

I'm not preaching, just letting you know the score. :wink:

judgey
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up mate :)

As people dont use repeaters much now is there an alternative or a diffrent sort of radio i should look at?

Many thanks again m8

Graham

Guzzy
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 pm

You will find the majority of amateur radio operators working the HF bands, evenings and weekends. These are the bands used to communicate with people all across the world, so they have much more appeal and variety to people with limited radio play time I guess.

The transceivers are a lot more expensive (£500+) than the VHF/UHF transceivers (£100+), and the antennas are a bit bigger (OK, a lot bigger!).

judgey
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:50 pm

lol

Kool thanks mate will have a go :)

Cheers for all the help, im sure i will need more.

Again thanks :)

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:41 am

suggest you join your local radio club and first pass the foundation get a call sign then you are good to go and a lot of the members will have the same radio so you will be sorted

the 145.750 is the gb3mp repeater in north wales

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it