Whar Rigs/Setups do you fellow Famers run?

Agricultural vehicle CB Radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderators: FISH, stampman

Round Baler
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:39 am

Whats that in the last pic?

- Gordon

<fordkid>
Good Buddy
Good Buddy
CB Handle: Wasp

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:23 am

Thats a P.A horn :D :D Great for shouting at someone across the yard :D :D
being the Ford Kid says it all

<fordkid>
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:59 am

hopefully changing to a mirror mount soon!! having soom problems wif bad earthing

Round Baler
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:44 pm

Here is some pics of my setup in my JD 6820 and JD 6920.

The JD 6820 had a TTI TCB 770 and ML 145 on the mirror and the JD 6920 has a midland 98+ and a SIRIO HY-POWER 3000 on the mirror.

I'm getting about a 8-10 mile radius with the 6820. Not sure how far with the 6920 as I have only recently installed them. More pics to come...

- Gordon
Round Baler

"We Cut The Crops That Feed The World"

<fordkid>
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:38 am

nice mount on the mirror there Gordon. :D :D was maybe gonna setup a cb in the loading shovel at work (jcb 526s) :?: :?: :D :D

extremedave
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:21 am

now your farming Gordon,great pics

chris9
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:29 pm

Here is a couple of pics of an install I did on my JD 6930.
I have mounted the Orbitor on an SO239, so that I can swop it to a Sirio Hipower 4000 for when I am working at a farm further from home. That sirio is very tall and so I use the Orbitor most of the time for when long range work isn't necessary. The mount is made from a John Deere beacon mount, screwed onto the normal position (through the mirror bolts) and then a piece of angle iron welded to it and the antenna mounted on that. Makes for a tidy job... :)

extremedave
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:41 pm

tidy job there chris,but does that mean you have had to go without your twin beacons? :cry:
is john deere the only manufacture to have a proper place in the cab for a cb?certainly isn't anywhere in my massey

chris9
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:57 am

Yeah, we don't bother with twin beacons at our place, (still 1 on the otherside obviously)
is john deere the only manufacture to have a proper place in the cab for a cb?certainly isn't anywhere in my massey
I don't know about this one, it had a spare DIN hole, so felt I had to use it...
and with the front mounted speaker it means all the work is done. I also think that I've got a pretty good ground plane with this mount setup.
going redo my JD 7810 this way, don't like the mirror mounts that much which I've always used in the past.
Chris

Round Baler
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Hmm.... over the summer I have wrecked my 2 mirror mounts under trees as the Sirio HY-POWER 3000 and Sirio ML145 odes not give much way to trees.
The Sirio HY-POWER 3000 is currently mounted on the mudguard VIA a magmount just now.

I'm going to buy 2 5ft yellow springers for my 6820 I think as they seem to get on with trees a bit better :D

- Gordon
Round Baler

"We Cut The Crops That Feed The World"

chris9
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:24 am

The Sirio HY-POWER 3000 is currently mounted on the mudguard VIA a magmount just now.
Antennae on mag mounts in my experience never work far. (cr*p grounding)
I will have to see if my sirio gets beaten up by trees at next harvest, won't need them till then... so will continue with the springers for now.
Also antennae mounted on tractor mudguards don't do well because of too much metal from tractor cab, must be at roof height.

The other thing I found was that the mirror mount on my 7810 was somehow insulated from the rest of the tractor and therefore grounding was a problem. Also those aluminum mirror mounts corrode after a few years and the swr goes up and the grounding becomes poor. Have also found that the mounts with the coax pushed in the bottom of them rather than on a proper PL259 connector get corroded also and then water gets into the coax and the whole thing becomes a nightmare.

I recommend that once you have put the mount on the tractor (before fitting the antenna) that you use a continuity tester for checking the grounding. Just put 1 end of the tester on the mount and the other on a tractor bolt somewhere or on an exhaust bolt and if you haven't got continuity then your grounding is not good and the antenna will probably perform poorly. With the mount setup above the grounding is very good and I got good low swr.

Also check that there isn't continuity across the coax shield to the centre core of the coax after you've set it all up. I had this happen a couple of times when I was soldering the PL259 ends.
Another good thing to do when you think you have finished is to put the cont tester on the screw shield of the PL259 connector at the radio end, then put other end of the tester on a grounded bolt in the cab to see if there is continuity. If there is then grounding is good and that's a good sign. Then do your swring.

You've probably heard all this before, but it's a good way to check stuff.
Chris

chris9
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:56 am

I was just wondering whether it's OK to paint the unside of the mount (see my picture above) where the coax is.
I want to try and avoid any corrosion in the future on the dv lead end and it's connection onto the mount.
Thanks
Chris

Edd6320
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed May 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Midland 77-805
Danita 1240 uk

geo900rge
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:45 pm

On my New Holland T7.270 (New 4 Days ago, my CB order was waiting for her to arrive) i have:
A Maxon CM10 attached to the right hand side arm rest
2 Thunderpole Speaker's
2 Thunderpole Orbiter's in red
with a 2 in to 1 patch lead.
All the airels are attached to the back of the tractor (the flashing light poles on on each side. I tested it properly today while plowing and reached from Wiltshire to Leeds so transmitting quite far.

porky.69
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:15 pm

thats a good contact mate, all working well then =D> :D