Experiences of bad groundplanes

Agricultural vehicle CB Radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:11 pm

I have a new Massey 6455 with suspended cab, had to get ERF mirror kit and mod it to fit to get SWR down to something reasonable, couldn't understand why my 2 year old 6455 without suspended cab was fine yet the new one was terrible.

Anyone else had bad groundplane problems with tractors, perhaps we should list which makes/models have good groundplanes for easy cross reference for other people, I know it could have saved me drilling loads of holes lol....

extremedave
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:45 am

hi,what sort of aerial are you using?

extremedave
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:02 am

do u have any pictures of your set up raider? i'm not too sure how to post them here so i email mine to Gordon the round baler and he does the magic! it would be interesting to see how you have mounted your aerial,have you fastened it to the cab/working lights at the back corner?

raiderz
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:04 pm

extremedave wrote:do u have any pictures of your set up raider? i'm not too sure how to post them here so i email mine to Gordon the round baler and he does the magic! it would be interesting to see how you have mounted your aerial,have you fastened it to the cab/working lights at the back corner?
I just drilled 3 holes in a piece (1" x 6") of flat bar anto extend the erf mirror mount, and bolted the other end to the setcrew nearest the worklight that holds the back plastic shroud onto the steel roof, works and looks fine, cable straight into corner window down to rig, will sort out some pics asap. Got a trucker 80 aerials, my old orbitors kept getting snagged in trees and branches as we tend to work a lot under them.

Noticed your tractors also came from Dobsons :D

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:06 pm

try strapping cab to chassis found that this worked on some tractors

cheers and beers

:D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it

extremedave
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:21 am

well spotted raiderz,we might not be that far away from each other then! it seems i've given them a free bit of advertising although i don't might because they are a top firm.Do you find you get interference everytime your cab suspention blows up?can be a right pain if it kicks in when you are talking over the air waves but at least it does provide a little more comfort.How do you like your massey?The 6480 i drive was new last april and has just clocked 2500 hours and its a cracking tractor

raiderz
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:04 am

Yeah it does, and also with my wipers as well, it's very annoying, I wonder if there is any sort of suppressor that could be fitted??

I've bought all my new tractors off Dobsons, my local dealer is a) more expensive and b) hopeless. Ryan gets me my parts quick, Fred looks after my 2 girls, although he's had a chew on this summer with the air con on my 04 reg 6455. It's in their workshop at the moment while he's on his hols, they are trying to sort it by swapping out everything thats related to the air con, to try and get it fixed, i'm glad it first went wrong a week before the warranty expired :D

I love my 6455's, Fred used to whinge on everytime when he came out to my 4255's or 4355 and saying i should get a 6455 instead, so I got one in 2004 and loved it, OK its had some irritating problems, but nothing he can't solve, I always blame him when it goes wrong. My 04 has 1900 hours on the clock and my 06 has 350 since mid July. I work mainly for the council so they don't really get hammered as much as farmers or agri contractors, worst thing for them is winter maintenance, the salt gets everywhere, and it takes ages to wash off twice a day!

extremedave
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:35 pm

yeah know what you mean about the 4300 range,we have had a few include a 4370 which i hedge cut on and i hate driving them!rubbish gears and prop shaft guards last about 6 months so i'm always glad to be back on my 6480.Fred is the man with the big merc van right?
Do you find your aerial is a bit directional being right at the back of the cab?I saw your pictures and it looks like you have made a real tidy job of mounting the twig

raiderz
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:40 pm

extremedave wrote:yeah know what you mean about the 4300 range,we have had a few include a 4370 which i hedge cut on and i hate driving them!rubbish gears and prop shaft guards last about 6 months so i'm always glad to be back on my 6480.
The first R reg 4255 I had kept on cracking the rear wheel disc, I put this down to 9 months of the year on the hedge cutter with the tracking too far in, ended up blowing a piston ring out through the turbo, got rid of that then! The 2nd Y reg 4255 I had wasn't any bother at all, the 02 4355 I had the powershuttle blow to bits, the 4wd shaft bearing went 3 times, eventually found out a circlip in the 4wd clutch hadn't been put in right at the factory, seeing as it was one of the last Coventry masseys I think the workforce had other things on their mind!
Fred is the man with the big merc van right?
Yep, don't ask how heavy it is though :lol: although he's getting a smaller new transit in October. Last time I saw him was when he did my 50hrs service, it was tossing down, never seen someone do an oil change as quick as he did! Great lad, i've phoned him many times for quick solutions to problems. He's the best lad for any 6400 problems, although he takes far too much work on, he's always says he's "stressed" when I phone him!
Do you find your aerial is a bit directional being right at the back of the cab?I saw your pictures and it looks like you have made a real tidy job of mounting the twig
I've found its ok, had some good distances with it, it's just annoying when the wipers or cab suspension is operating I get loads of interference, anybody have any ideas how to stop it ?