Dual antennas - are they just for show?

Agricultural vehicle CB Radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Farmerboy19
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Hi there, I'm quite new to cb's, I work for an agricultural contractor and few of the boys and myself have decided to fit our own cb radios to our tractors for when we're working together on silage, I've taken my K-PO K500 out of my car and fitted it onto the tractor, I had a mag mount previously for my car but now need a mirror mount as there is little metal on modern tractor cabs that isn't covered in fibreglass bodywork.

However my real question is that is it worthwhile purchasing two mounts and another orbitor or just stick with one aerial? Is there any benefit to two antennas or is it just style over substance?

Also I'm looking at mounts with ground planes fitted, what are people's opinions/experiences on these?

Thanks guys!

:) :)

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:56 am

single mount on wing mirror will work fine there has to be over 8 ft between antennas for twins to work and you dont have the distance on a tractor and the they focus the signal in a figer eight so you need to be on a long (15mile) stright road too get any benefit from them

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Farmerboy19
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks stampman, would twin antennas reduce range if it focus' signal front and back? would this be at the detriment of signal to the side of the vehicle?

Only curious as most of our work covers a lot of road haulage around blocks of fields, it would be nice to have good coverage of all around the machine as we are not always on short hauls or on the same road, there may be an instance where I'm travelling westbound on a road but work is in the centre of a large block of fields to the north, is the solution just increasing Ariel size? :? :D :D

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:10 am

solution would be a good all round antenna the one that seems to be best for farm work is the Wilson 1000 as it is sturdier than the sirio 4000 and will stand up to a lot more hammer

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it

Farmerboy19
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks for the advice

:D :D