What Channel

Motorhome/Caravan CB Radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

Sunnybums
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Afternoon everyone, I have just returned to having a CB after many many years.

I have a rig set up on my Talbot express motor home, as is fibreglass I have put a mag mount on the front wing. I know I’m going out as have tested it with the shop I bought it from however, I have been travelling up and down the M5 over to South Wales and even to Sussex and I have not heard anyone.

I have tried Ch19 Ch17 Ch14 & Ch24 with no response. What am I doing wrong ? Have all the Cornell’s changed ?

Thanks in advance

Clive

Dickie831
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:52 pm

Hi Clive, I am new to this all.. but did have a dabble about 30yrs ago.. and I mean dabble.. but wanted to set up a system on my MoHo.. still having a bit of a mare at the moment with aerials.. wifey says I'm not allowed to drill holes in van !.. but have had good advice today from a guy who assessed my failing set-up with a view to getting it sorted... Fiat Ducato base veh (low-line design so minimal cab height).. wing mirror mount with NGP fitting and have also option of solid grounding cable.. using mini orbiter antenna which came recommended... however.. red zoned swr all the time.. advice received today.. get different aerial..the mini orbiter is strong base loaded antenna that on my van is bouncing RF signal straight back to the antenna.. hence P-poor SWR.. to get a top-loaded and a little longer to clear the roof properly.. so waiting for bits. When I got the rig, I had a mag mount on the roof of car going back and forth to work.. and TBH.. on scan mode all I was hearing was Ch26.. a few truckers (talking foreign) in the distance... while travelling from my home near Merthyr to work in Cardiff. I am still getting my set-up sorted for the MoHo for when we take it away to France, Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
Richard

Dickie831
New to the Scene
New to the Scene

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:26 pm

Clive.. been talking on another forum about moho CB.. Somerset Drifter operates on channel 22 (UK40) .. just in case you're in the Somerset area, maybe give him a call.

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:21 pm

I’ve been using CB in the motorhome for the best part of 15 years, and stick with channel 19 when travelling alone, and channel 20 when travelling in a group.
CB is so quiet these days, unless you sit on 19 it’s pretty much dead.
Call sign: 2H2SQ
Handle: 'Turtle'
Home is where you park it!...