Caravan Setup...Advice

Motorhome/Caravan CB Radio advice and troubleshooting

Moderator: stampman

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut
CB Handle: The Jester

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Have just got into CB and already got mobile setup working. But am thinking about setting up a little rig in my caravan, for when the Mrs sends me out for groceries, but when I get there, they havent got what she asked for and so I need to speak to her urgently, but have left my mobile phone in the caravan... Hang on a minute, I`m digressing here... Back to the job in hand...

I`m ok with the rig itself, but am wondering about a neat aerial that wil serve its purpose. so my question is this...

Could I use a mag mount (As I have a spare one) attached to the A-Frame (The bit that attatches the caravan to the back of the car), bearing in mind the A-Frame has a plastic covering over it, so the mag mount would probably hold, but will the grounding etc be sufficient...

Any other ideas would be greatly received....

Cheers...
HANDLE : The Jester

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:18 am

yes the mag would work but you might be limeted by hight the only way is to try it and see

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
if it anit broke dont fix it

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Ok Cheers Stampman, I`ll give it a go...

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:38 pm

I once saw a caravan where the owner had bolted a mount to the A-frame, and had the cable routed into the van. On the mount he had fitted a 'quick fit' bayonet connection for attaching the twig. It was a very neat and tidy set up, and because he had bolted it direct to the frame, he had a good earth.
When not in use, it was barely visible.

The other option open to you is the 'drive on' type mounts, which is a bracket which you 'roll' the caravan wheel onto, and the weight of the van holds it in place, and you mount the twig on that!(these were originally designed for caravanners to use a TV aeriel)
When you've finished, just roll the van forward, take it apart, and stow it a cupboard. saves making any modifications to you van, and allows you to even take a homebase twig with you!!

I've fitted a permanant twig to my motorhome (see 'My pride and joy' in the Gallery section) which entailed making a 4' x 3' metal ground plane, which was grounded to the chassis. A lot of hasstle, but excellent results. Again, you could fit a permanant mount on the roof with a bayonet connector, then just open up a roof vent, reach up and connect the twig from the inside! 8)

Keep an eye out for my camper mate, I always leave the CB on UKFM19 when I'm parked up.
Call sign: 2H2SQ
Handle: 'Turtle'
Home is where you park it!...

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:18 pm

Matt, cheers for the comments. I have already seen your Pride & Joy....VERY NICE...

Some good ideas there, may look into the drive on bracket thingy...

Do you do a lot of travelling round then ?

We were recently up at Kielder Forest on a seasonal pitch...very nice area, but lots of midges #-o

Matt C
Chatter Box
Chatter Box

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:33 pm

I've seen a few of the 'drive on' brackets at the caravan/motorhome shows, all you need to do is add a pole and mount to the top. Works a treat, and you can transfer it from van to van.

Haven't had the chance to tour for a while now, new job and all that.... I toured the UK for a year, that was great, pretty much covered most of it, but that was 2 years ago. Now there's a mortgage, bills and relentless overtime to think about :(

Midges?? Try the west coast of Scotland mate!! If you wave at them, they'll take your arm off!!!!!
Call sign: 2H2SQ
Handle: 'Turtle'
Home is where you park it!...

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!
CB Handle: wildfire.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:56 pm

let me think your looking for ideas for a mount for you caravan hum a gutter mount comes to my mind, not shure if caravans have a good ground plane tho with a steel whip like the orbitor for example i am thinking of a way to keep your antena up i mean if you do use a mag mount on top of your caravan and hit trees it might tip the antena over but something like a gutter mount or a side mount would be ideal.

just a couple of thoughts what ran through my head for you jester buddy.

TheJester
Official CB Nut
Official CB Nut

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:07 pm

Stuart,

My plan is to have a temporary setup, just for when we are using the caravan on a site somewhere. Therefore I dont think I`ll be fitting a permenant aerial mount. Think I`ll go for a simple mag mount on the A Frame, see how good the signal is, then plumb for a different setup (pole) if required...

thank you for your comments,

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:46 pm

yeah mag mount is good for a temporary solution and your very welcomed for the comments buddy :wink:

KAMASA
Good Buddy
Good Buddy

Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:45 pm

i have seen scaffold poles with twig mounted on them and fastened into the jocky wheel mounting in the A frame which seems to work very well . As for mounting on the roof of a caravan they are mostly aluminium so there for do not offer a good groundplane so radials would probably help there .
and as for power well when you are on a hook up you have a good 12v supply on hand .

wildfire
Motor Mouth!
Motor Mouth!

Wed May 15, 2013 9:15 pm

hi jester,

just like to ask how are you getting on with your caravan set up mate just another quick thought after reading a very good & interesting review about the tank whip from a user who uses his static mobile while parked around the Sheffield area & he says he is not parked high up but does seem to contact his friend who is in Scarborough in north Yorkshire & the distance between them is a good 75 miles with good results just thought about a mount on your frame where the jockey wheel is just another idea for you buddy.

stampman
- - -> CB God <- - -
- - -> CB God <- - -

Thu May 16, 2013 8:55 am

yes tank whip would work well

*King* *King* *King* *King*
if it anit broke dont fix it